SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

How costly to repair shorted out igniters on Maytag Gemini gas range?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
We spilled a cup of tea on the stove. It is a Maytag Gemini double oven range, gas. Up til now, we never had any problem with it. Though it was mopped up right away, obviously some liquid got under the controls. It started clicking madly as the electronic ignition for the burners started firing. This is not the first time a spillover would make them click, but they always dried out before. Could be because the cup was spilled right over a control, which is on the same level as the burners. I turned on all the burners on low, and the upper oven, in the attempt to dry it out faster. All the burners lit without difficulty. I stayed in the kitchen close by the entire time. It would stop clicking briefly, then resume.

After about 15 minutes of off-and-on clicking, with all the burners running on low, I saw a flash of sparks and a puff of smoke coming out from underneath the stove top. I happened to be sitting at about eye level with the stove and was looking right at it when it occurred. We switched off the burners, removed the knobs, and started peering inside. We turned on each burner in turn. When we got to the fourth, the lower right burner control (the epicenter of the spill), it flashed a few sparks, then the circuit breaker blew.

We pulled it away from the wall and unplugged it.

Given that this is an electrical problem, and we both smelled burning insulation, we think it is safer to replace all the igniter units. Though handy, again, because it is electrical, we also think it is safer to have a professional do the replacement. We just want to know what we are in for.

Now to my question: how likely is this to be an easy fix? The appliance store where we bought it says $20 for the igniter. I find that hard to believe. (Service call will be $ 210, which includes labor). Engineer husband thinks all the igniters are probably part of a module, and the whole module will need replacing. Thus, a whole lot more than $20.

I still like the stove, I use the second smaller oven all the time. It is 11 years old. Husband is inclined to replace the stove. The current model of this stove runs about $ 1500. It was $1000 when we bought it. I keep hearing that newer appliances are poor quality. But at what point does it pay to repair versus replace? Thanks for your input .

Comment