SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
islandgarden

Basement vs crawl space for 6 foot addition in New England

islandgarden
7 years ago

Having read through a lot of basement vs crawl space threads, I am still not sure of the benefit or lack thereof of having a full basement rather than a crawl space under an addition that will add 6 feet to the back of the house.

Background:

1) we live in a cold climate

2) we have a full basement under our house with a rubble foundation

3) architect said that an insulated unvented crawl space connected to the current basement is "just the same" as a basement (except obviously for storage)

4) by the time the walls are built, the available room (if we do the basement) would be about 4' x 23'. Not terribly useful

5) The dudes who excavate prefer the crawl space option and warn that trying to build a full basement along the rubble foundation risks damaging the latter

My concerns:

1) I don't want the dudes to ruin the rubble foundation

2) I want the space above to be warm, dry, not smelly

3) I don't mind spending a bit more but I don't want to throw money down a hole for no very good reason. Or a good reason.

If you have gone through this process and especially if you have reason to be happy with--or regret--your decision please weigh in.

Also, if you have specific guidance on the construction thereof I would love to hear it. Various opinions on insulation and vapor barriers. Feel free to be nerdy/highly technical.

thanks you

Comments (5)