SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Update - honey oak kitchen cabinets are painted!

juddgirl2
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I posted last week asking for color suggestions to paint my honey oak kitchen cabinets.

I was looking for a soft white that would work with the Believable Buff walls and Antique White trim and ended up choosing SW Creamy, which is the same color as the ceilings. It ended up being the perfect creamy white color I was looking for.

So, the painting is all done, the new ORB hardware is on, and I love the change, although it has taken me a few days to get used to all the brightness in my kitchen!

I staged it a bit today for fun but the real stager and photographer are coming in a few days :)

I brought in some rusty red dishware and dishtowels and a pretty new soap dispenser to tie into the slate floor. Also decluttered my counters a but by trading in the large toaster oven for a small toaster and organizing a drawer to hold my knives and coffee pods. The table settings on the island are just for fun!

We still need to put the range exhaust fan back together since it was just repaired and put the freshly washed slipcovers back on the dining chairs.

Comments (55)

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Wow! Amazing! LOVE your kitchen floor too!

juddgirl2 thanked tibbrix
  • porkandham
    7 years ago

It looks great!

juddgirl2 thanked porkandham
  • Claire Buoyant
    7 years ago

Love the white with the rest of your materials, really beautiful!

juddgirl2 thanked Claire Buoyant
  • amck2
    7 years ago

Wonderful result! Remarkable how details like adding pulls to the drawers can make such a difference. Especially like how the stone backsplash has come out of hiding and is now a lovely feature.

juddgirl2 thanked amck2
  • User
    7 years ago

I LOVE the flooring, too. What an amazing transformation. Very inspiring!

juddgirl2 thanked User
  • texanjana
    7 years ago

Wow! It looks amazing.

juddgirl2 thanked texanjana
  • bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Fabulous, though you had good kitchen to begin with. Adore the wall cabinetry where fridge is.

juddgirl2 thanked bossyvossy
  • Debbi Branka
    7 years ago

Wow that looks awesome! What a great job painting!

juddgirl2 thanked Debbi Branka
  • maddielee
    7 years ago

Looks wonderful!

juddgirl2 thanked maddielee
  • anrol
    7 years ago

Love it! Really nice job!

juddgirl2 thanked anrol
  • User
    7 years ago

Wow, that looks fantastic! What a difference - you must be so thrilled!

juddgirl2 thanked User
  • Bunny
    7 years ago

It looks fantastic!!! What was your technique?

juddgirl2 thanked Bunny
  • juddgirl2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks so much for the great comments, all! I think the painted cabinets have helped to make other details stand out, like my slate flooring and granite backsplash.

I also love the pop of color in the plate rack now and how the color works better with the other items I have in the kitchen, like my small sofa and antique scale.

(For staging, the sideboard/bar will be moved into the great room with mirror hung above it, the sofa will move to that corner, and we're bringing in a pub table and stools where the sofa is now.)

The door hardware and adding some trim to the outside of the base cabinets definitely made a big difference in making the cabinets look finished.

I actually like my granite more than I did before too, and that was my biggest concern in choosing a cabinet color! It's not my dreamy soapstone that I planned on if we were staying, but it's actually been a very nice, hardworking counter for our family and it works so much better with the white cabinets than it did with the golden oak.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. It helped me make the decision to finally paint the cabinets after talking about it for the last 15 years. Just wish I had done it sooner before selling!

• eld6161
    7 years ago

They look terrific.

Can you share details on how your cabinets were painted? Sorry if I missed previous info.

From my computer, I don't see the grain from the oak!

juddgirl2 thanked eld6161
  • OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Oh gosh, it's 100 times better! Great job!

juddgirl2 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Beautiful! Just beautiful! And, yes, please, give us details.

juddgirl2 thanked nosoccermom
  • Vertise
    7 years ago

Wow, that is quite the transformation! No need to gut and rebuild! - And not a sin to paint wood!

juddgirl2 thanked Vertise
  • Yayagal
    7 years ago

There's no doubt now on which was the better look, it's so cheery and welcoming. I'll bet you glance at it a hundred times a day. Fantastic in the details too.

juddgirl2 thanked Yayagal
  • blfenton
    7 years ago

What a difference! The counter goes so much better with the painted cabinets than it did with the oak. I hadn't noticed that you didn't have hardware before, adding it has given your kitchen such a face lift. And now you're selling?!

juddgirl2 thanked blfenton
  • IdaClaire
    7 years ago

Wow! What a gorgeous transformation! The kitchen was pretty before, but now it looks fresh and new. Well done. Enjoy it!

juddgirl2 thanked IdaClaire
  • juddgirl2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! My main technique was hiring very good painters to do the work :)

I have always thought about tackling this myself, since we are very DIY, but after seeing all the work and amount of detail that goes into achieving a high quality finish, I'm so glad I left this up the professionals. I just don't have the time and energy that I used to for that kind of work!

A team of 2 painters prepped just the frame for 3 days (removing and carefully numbering all doors and drawers, meticulously taping and applying plastic to protect surfaces, and sanding, sanding, sanding) before applying at least 2 coats of primer.

I had the carpenter come in during that time and frame out the end cabinets with the same rails and stiles so they look like false doors, except no raised panel like the cabinets. No time but that's okay - I think he did a great job and it looks so much better than before.

Then they applied the lacquer paint finish to the frame before starting the whole process over with the drawers and doors. They did those in a temporary tented paint area set up in my backyard and garage.

Everything was applied with a sprayer, except for some touching up to the ceiling and walls. Before, during and after painting they carefully caulked and sealed all cracks and crevices so it all looks finished.

You can still see the slight wood grain in some places but I don't really care - that never bothered me and at least you know they're solid wood doors underneath.

I bought a soft close hinge for each door that they switched out when putting the doors back on. Those and some small rubber bumpers I put on each door and drawer makes a world of difference. I hate slamming doors and drawers! Some of the heavier doors could use 2 hinges though.

DH installed all hardware, except the lazy susan and one other base cabinet because we're still undecided - I want a pull but DH thinks a knob would be better :)

It took 2 painters 7-8 full days and the price was very affordable considering the amount of work, so I think it was definitely worth it. We've already had one pre-listing showing and the buyer noticed and appreciated the "remodeled" kitchen :)

Here's one of my favorite things - I repurposed a drawer with a knife insert and some organizers to hold my coffee and tea things. That eliminated 2 knife blocks and a very messy looking bowl from the counters. Wish I had done this sooner too!

• User
    7 years ago

I recently switched from a knife block to a drawer holder and find that I use the old block space much more.

juddgirl2 thanked User
  • Lauren0319
    7 years ago

Beautiful! So bright!!

juddgirl2 thanked Lauren0319
  • Bunny
    7 years ago

Well, it certainly looks like a pro job. I'd thought it was DIY and was incredulous over how good it looks. I had the same thing done in my kitchen, although the doors and drawers were done off-site in the painter's shop. It's a tough, hard-wearing finish. You done good!

juddgirl2 thanked Bunny
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Beautiful.

I think the hardware is amazing too. It tied everything together. Small touch, yet incredibly smart one.

(don't sell..)) I know, I know..)

juddgirl2 thanked aprilneverends
  • rockybird
    7 years ago

Fantastic! It looks like it should be in a magazine!!! I also love your floors! Your painters did a great job!!!!

juddgirl2 thanked rockybird
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    7 years ago

Congratulations! It all turned out perfectly and -- WOW -- does it ever make your lovely floor shine!

juddgirl2 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

The floor and the countertops really pop now with the white cabs. I thought they looked good as oak but also great in white. This is interesting to me because I also have similar cabinets. In my case though, it is the countertops and walls that are builders white, so I'm always very interested in seeing how others have approached remodeling a similar kitchen. Yours looks great.

juddgirl2 thanked l pinkmountain
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Wonderful transformation ! I would hate to have to leave . Your floors are gorgeous .

juddgirl2 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

AMAZING. I really want to do this in my new house too. How did you find a qualified person to tackle the job? around here - so many say they can do everything but they really don't have the experience.

juddgirl2 thanked Boopadaboo
  • theclose
    7 years ago

Looks great!!! I'm sure it will increase your home value. Good luck!

juddgirl2 thanked theclose
  • teeda
    7 years ago

What an amazing transformation with a coat of paint and new hardware. I think you were very wise to make this change prior to listing your house. It looks fresh, clean and very update--what most buyers are looking for in a kitchen! Best of luck with your sale.

juddgirl2 thanked teeda
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

Looks great. Now I really want to come snoop your open house!!!!!

juddgirl2 thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • jill302
    7 years ago

Wow, very nice! Up-to-date, yet classic.

juddgirl2 thanked jill302
  • aprilneverends
    7 years ago

(Spanish wrote what I was afraid to write))

except that I wanted to come snoop while the cabinetry was oak too..))

juddgirl2 thanked aprilneverends
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

What a difference! It looks terrific!

juddgirl2 thanked Anglophilia
  • juddgirl2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Too funny, Spanish and April :)

Thanks so much for the positive comments all! I'm so happy it turned out well and that I don't regret my decision. It's funny that I stressed over whether I should or should not paint the cabinets for so many years and then ended up making the decision and actually doing it in such a short, rushed period of time.

I actually just asked my DH if he might want to stay here for a few more years. He wasn't receptive, but between my now finished home and some new grandbabies close by, it's going to be so hard to leave. Is it strange that I'm half hoping my house doesn't sell right away so I can be here to enjoy one more holiday season in my home with my family?

Boopadoo - I know what you mean. I was worried about hiring someone and then getting a subpar job. This painter was recommended by my real estate agent and is one they use all the time. He seemed to know what he was doing when he came by to give me a quote and I could have stopped by some of the other houses to see his work if I wanted to.

Ipinkmountain - I think if my counters had been white I would have chosen a non-white color for the cabinets, or at least the lowers. I actually really like the 2-tone look, with darker lowers and white, cream or light gray uppers.

Linelle-- your kitchen was actually one of my inspiration "afters" when I was considering painting my cabinets a few years ago. I wish I had dark counters like you have. Next time :)

• cat_mom
    7 years ago

Great transformation!

juddgirl2 thanked cat_mom
  • arcy_gw
    7 years ago

I hope you post pics of the "staging" and let us know how the sale goes and buyers/lookers comments as well as if the change as lucrative for you.

juddgirl2 thanked arcy_gw
  • purrus
    7 years ago

What a stunning update!

juddgirl2 thanked purrus
  • nini804
    7 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!! So much fresher...I bet it sells like hot cakes! ;)

juddgirl2 thanked nini804
  • Lisa G
    7 years ago

Wow, looks fabulous! You picked the perfect shade of white to tie in your counters and floor. Excellent job!

What cabinet hardware did you use? Kind of looks like America Westerly but I'm not sure...I really like it. I haven't pulled the trigger on my cabinet pulls yet because I can't decide between ORB and satin nickel.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks so much, catmom, arcy, purrus, nini, and lisa!

They did the real estate photos yesterday and after some light staging I think the house looked amazing. We just edited out a few more things from the counter and added some decor items.

We brought in a bistro table and stools to take the place of the sideboard that was moved to the great room.

I also used the floating shelf I just had made for over the tub and used it for the blank space over the sofa instead. I convinced DH to hang it as part of a compromise in which he did not have to move and rehang the heavy wall clock :)

These are just a few cell phone pics but I can't wait to see the professional photos!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lisa - I forgot to add that I got the pulls and knobs from Amazon for a great price. I originally bought the RH Bistro hardware but couldn't see spending over $500 when we're moving so I returned them. These are actually really nice, especially the 5 inch pulls.

• katlan
    7 years ago

Love it! It looks twice as big now. And bright and fresh. I also love your floor. Man, you did an outstanding job. I would love to have your kitchen.

juddgirl2 thanked katlan
  • Laurie Gordon
    7 years ago

Brilliant make over. So up to date and all achieved with paint, hard work and good taste. Well done. I love when the counters and back splash are the same.

juddgirl2 thanked Laurie Gordon
  • hooked123
    7 years ago

Looks AMAZING!!

juddgirl2 thanked hooked123
  • juddgirl2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, sabbath, Laurie and katlan!

• cliff_and_joann
    7 years ago

it's all gorgeous. I love it.