SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ratherbesewing

Creeping Charlie...HELP!

ratherbesewing
7 years ago

I have Creeping Charlie embedded in my lawn. I cannot pull out manually because I would not live long enough to conquer. Does anyone have any experience with Speed Zone or Trimec--both are sold thru Gordon.com I tried a product with triclopyr (Weed B Gone Max) last year and it didn't do much. This crap grows FAST!

Comments (8)

• Jean
    7 years ago

Several different plants go by that name.

Please post an image or 2 so that we know which one you have.

• kimmq
    7 years ago

There Is only one plant known commonly as Creeping Charlie and that is Glechoma hederacea. Some people do misname other plants as Creeping Charlie but that does not change anything.

Creeping Charlie grows best in soils that are not really good for lawns, so start any control program with a good reliable soil test and make any corrections needed which can help make life difficult for that Creeping Charlie and will help the grass grow in thicker and keep that problem form growing. A thick and tall stand of turf grass can help keep many unwanted plants from growing.

Perhaps this article may be of some help.

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/kill-creeping-charlie.htm

kimmq is kimmsr

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

"There Is only one plant known commonly as Creeping Charlie and that is Glechoma hederacea. Some people do misname other plants as Creeping Charlie but that does not change anything."

This is completely inaccurate!! 'Creeping Charlie' is a common name that is applied to numerous plants; the Glechoma/ground ivy as well as to Lysimachia nummularia, Malva sylvestris, Pilea nummularifolia and Plectranthus australis. And probably a few more if one wants to do the research.

There is NO right or wrong with common names - they are what they are and can vary widely from region to region, both by name and by plant. Since we are dealing with weed control and that can differ just as widely depending on the specific plant, identification IS important. One should never rely on just the common name for accurate identification because you can never be entirely sure what plant you are dealing with until identified by the proper botanical nomenclature. That's why we have botanical names - to pin down the identification correctly so everyone knows, regardless of their location, what is being discussed. Period!!

• ratherbesewing
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here's MY weed : It's a runner and has a slight scent to it (similar to sage). Any advice would be welcome.

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    7 years ago

Spraying that ground ivy in the fall after the first frost and In The spring when it is in flower are the best times. But it is very difficult to control and may never completely be killed.

• ratherbesewing
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Kimpa--I am in PA too. The western end of the state. What would I spray the "ground ivy" with?

7 years ago

Here is penn state's brochure

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/master-gardener/counties/chester/how-to-gardening-brochures/ground-ivy

I'm using an iPhone so it is more difficult to pass along info. I haven't found the magic chemical. But I do know you have to keep at it. So that means treating it every spring and fall for I don't know how long...

7 years ago

If you really wanted to try and eradicate it, you could mix the directed dosage of both weed b gone and weed b gone chickweed clover killer after the first frost this fall. Then 2 weeks later apply only the weed b gone chickweed killer again. Next spring when the ground ivy is flowering, repeat those same procedures. Weed b gone has dicamba in it and that can only be applied 2 times a year. The chickweed weed b gone does not have that restriction.

I am out of town and cannot look at my notes or the labels on my bottles. But I think what I wrote makes sense. Others please comment if you disagree.

Also when I do spray I try to only contact the weeds. I don't completely spray the entire lawn, just spot spray. I have a mixed greens lawn that includes clover so I don't want to kill that.

I just read your question again and thought of this. If your weed b gone max includes triclopyr, then you would use the chickweed killer at 1/2 the labeled directions when mixing them.

I am not familar with the other chemicals you asked about. And for the record I am not a fan of using chemicals. But when I use them I make sure that the timing is ideal and that I fully understand how to use them. Please read the labels!