SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_473334

Mice eating all ,my tomatos

Neal Winsor
7 years ago

I being new to this planted my several varieties of heirloom tomatoes one foot apart. They are in a 10'X20' poly greenhouse ,and I planted them in the ground.

Now I'm over run with vines everywhere .I tied some up so I could walk down the center, but most are laying down or 3 ' tall or less. Some vines grow to 9' I'm told.

I'm in Calgary ,Canada and am heating my greenhouse with an electric heater until it doesn't keep up. So far we have had no frost.

My main problem is mice eating the lower tomatoes as soon as the are almost ready to p[ick. I have mouse traps everywhere and catch quite a few v, but still they get eaten.

Being that I enjoy growing things ( now that I'm retired)

I plan to build cages from concrete wire mesh next year, and not plant so close.

Will mice climb up the vines to get to the tomatoes?

So far they only are eating what is very close to the ground. I guess I could wrap tinfoil around the bottom 2 feet ( if it wont hurt the plant). Being the vines grow 6' plus and the tomatoes are not near the bottom of the vine do you think this may work?

Once I have an orderly growing area, I will see the ground around the plants . Now everything is laying over and even taking root along some of the stems on the ground.

I attempted to attach a photo but if it doesn't show up , all you see is a green house full of green vegetation .

I must say I enjoy the taste of these different types, Black Krim, Black Prince, Tiger stripes, Cherokee purple, and several others . I like the dark colored ones over the red ones.

I experimented in canning some tonight , and it was fun.

If anyone can help out with my mouse problem I'd appreciate it. I'm even considering getting a cat, but I think I'm going to pick them just before they get fully ripe, I have room to store them until they ripen.

Neal

Comments (8)