SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sworthy1

Only see ads

Holly
7 years ago
On many of the design dilemmas and before and after posts, all I see is the opening sentence and then an AD! I can't see the posters' pictures. Can I do anything to fix this or block the ads or anything? I never used to see ads inside of discussions before. Erg! Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (45)

• Holly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    No response yet, but I am still having the problem, especially in before and after discussions, but also in design dilemmas and in other. Very frustrating. Is anybody else experiencing this? Houzz, are you looking into fixing this issue? Thanks!
  • dcotephoto
    7 years ago
    Mine as well! SO many ads!
  • Related Discussions

Easily adding shower where there's only a tub faucet?

Q

Comments (4)
    If all you have is a tub, then it's highly doubtful that the walls adjacent to the tub are waterproof enough to be able to add a shower without causing water damage to your home. (Even if they are covered with decorative tile, they're it's probaly installed just over drywall.) I'd be a much better idea to plan on renovating the bath completely before you move in. Or, only take tub baths until you can renovate.
    ...See More

Adding SDL muntins to Exterior Only Windows

Q

Comments (10)
    Make sure that the glass is meticulously clean and for best results use an adhesion promoter on the glass and SDL muntin bar as well before applying the tape. Attach the VHB tape to the muntin bar, leaving the paper on the other side. Pull about an inch or so of paper off the tape to the side, but don't tear it. Carefully lay the muntin bar on the glass allowing the exposed tape to adhere to the glass. Then slowly pull (to the side) the remaining paper from the tape as you press the exposed tape to the glass. You won't have full adhesion immediately, and you can remove the tape from either surface at this point, but better if you don't have to. No caulk or other materials/adhesives are needed. VHB is amazing stuff. I have been involved with glass ceilings that were attached using VHB tape to hold the brackets that were used to attach the HEAVY glass panels in place.
    ...See More

Seedling heat mat only adding 7 degrees over ambient temp

Q

Comments (17)
    I'd take those USDA garden zones with a big grain of salt. Those garden zones specify simply how cold it gets in the winter. That may or may not be pertinent to decisions about date of last frost. To wit, I'm in USDA zone 8a - central Texas, and my tomatoes are out in the ground. But spring gardening is quite different in Seattle (I used to live in the PNW). One would like to believe an app would be able to do it right. When I look it up, I see that Seattle frost "safe dates" are mid-April. So I agree that it's a month-ish early to be seeding frost-intolerant plants. If the seedlings are kept cool, like the 60F you're seeing, they'll grow slowly, however, and you might be able to start them soon.
    ...See More

My toilet only flushes properly when dish soap is added to the water

Q

Comments (2)
    What do you mean by "flushes properly'? And are you adding the dish detergent to the tank or to the bowl? Sometimes adding dish detergent to the bowl can help break up a clog. Do you have a clogged toilet?
    ...See More
  • debqhix
    7 years ago
    Me too! I've been having that problem for a while. I've quit reading the discussions in the app because of it. I can actually read the post & see the pics when I use Chrome browser. Sorta makes the app not worthwhile, huh? Frustrating.
  • Holly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh, I didn't realize that the problem isn't there when using a browser, as I almost always just use my iPad. I guess it won't be a priority to fix, in that case. Thank you for mentioning that, at least. Still, this is a relatively new problem, some do hope it can be fixed, but no one from Houzz is responding, so I don't know if they even realize that it IS a problem at this point.
  • wilson7200z
    7 years ago
    Having the same problem - frustrating. Houzz needs to address this issue.
  • Tammy
    7 years ago
    Same here, on the app. I already contacted Houzz 'contact us', they asked me for a screenshot but I didn't know how to get it to them so I gave up. I found it a little hard to find how to contact them in the first place.

It's frustrating, so nice to use the tablet, when it works.
  • Holly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I haven't thought to do the "contact us" yet, although I don't know if I could figure out how to send them a screenshot either. I'll see if I can figure that out, though. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Tammy
    7 years ago
    Can you also mention that when in design dilemma, for example, and looking at someone's post, when we hit the back button it takes us back to the very top of design dilemmas so we always have to scroll all the way down again? I know I'm lazy but figuring out how to communicate with Houzz gave me a headache.
  • Holly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Well, Tammy, I don't actually have that problem. Well, I have noticed it if I used the search feature, but ordinarily if I am just scrolling through the dilemmas, look at a thread, then go back, it goes back to where I was, not to the top. You should probably ask about that in a separate question. Sorry!
  • jograce
    7 years ago
    I just sent in the same complaint to house. No answer yet.
  • debqhix
    7 years ago
    I also sent a request tonight. I included 2 screenshots to show what I am seeing on the app. I really hope they can fix the issue soon. Not only can I not view photos submitted with a post, only the first line of text that the poster submitted is viewable. If you enjoy reading the Discussions, it's virtually pointless to try to do it through the app.
  • Holly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you both for complaining, too, and especially for sending screenshots. That's perfect! I hope Houzz will now start to take this problem seriously.
  • debqhix
    7 years ago
    I actually got a response from Houzz today, a lousy one, but a response. It asked what device & operating system I was using, although I filled this info in when I submitted the request. The email then goes on to say I should delete & download the app again to fix it. I had already done that with no luck, but did so again in hopes that it would work. Of course, it didn't do anything. I still have the issue. I replied to the email to let them know it didn't work & reminded them that I am not the only one having this issue. I hope Houzz is checking this discussion thread & is working on a fix. If they have a better solution than deleting & redownloading I hope they supply it here.
  • debqhix
    7 years ago
    Just another note in case Houzz employees are reading... I spent about 30 minutes filling in the info in their request ticket, taking screenshots, and thoroughly describing the problems I am having. It would have been nice if they had spent more than a minute responding to my submission.
  • dcotephoto
    7 years ago
    I would think Houzz knows about it. These ads are sponsored. Meaning the company is paying out to Houzz to run their business ads throughout the website/app.
  • debqhix
    7 years ago
    They know about the ads, but they need to know that people are having problems viewing the original posts & pictures attached. Some threads, the whole post & photos can be seen with the ad below. Others, the photos get dropped & only the first line of text is viewable. I'm not sure the ad is the problem.
  • Holly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks again deb. Yes, I'm sure Houzz knows about the ads and I don't even really mind that ads have been added, it's just when the ad blocks the pictures and most of the OP's original post that it is frustrating. I have also deleted and downloaded the app again and the problem was not fixed. In fact, it seems to be getting worse.
  • Emily H
    7 years ago

Hi there, Our mobile team is taking look! There are a lot of posts here, so just for my clarification - is this happening specifically in the apps for everyone or while using the browser on your device?

• Holly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I believe it only happens on the app. I haven't notice the problem on the browser. Thank you Emily!
  • debqhix
    7 years ago
    For me, it's only in the app..... I heard from Houzz again today. The email suggested I clear cookies, data & browsing history. I did this in the Houzz app settings. Although it has no bearing on the app, I cleared the cookies & history on my iPad which only pertains to safari (I never access Houzz through safari).
    This did not fix anything. I'm still having the same problem in the Houzz app.
  • gnujko
    7 years ago
    Emily, I have been using the app. Hope you can fix this, I can't deal with this much longer!
  • Karen
    7 years ago
    This has also been driving me crazy. It seems to just happen on the IPad app but a rarely access Houzz on my desktop! I came here looking for answers and I hope it's fixed soon. I don't mind seeing the ads but I want to see the posters' photos too.
  • debqhix
    7 years ago

I was hoping it might be fixed by now but still the same issue. I have been using Houzz less as a result. :(

• Holly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    No, it isn't fixed yet and no further word from Emily or Houzz. I don't mind the ads either, only when the ads block the OP's pictures and narrative. When that happens I just shut down the thread immediately, because, what's the point, but then I don't even look at the ad, either, so it's also a loss for the advertiser. I am spending less and less time on Houzz.
  • wilson7200z
    7 years ago
    Yes this problem needs to be addressed! Finding myself using the app less because of this.
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    I hate the adds! This is such a distraction! They are now on my IB! This is ridiculous! They have just changed that whole format and I've lost personal pics I posted there only to be replaced by adds! Furious!!!
  • lynartist
    7 years ago
    My IB have just reverted back to their original format! This is so odd! I am on the phone app. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • debqhix
    7 years ago
    @lynartist I was having the same problem earlier today. I was so frustrated! I just checked & looks like my pics a back now. Hope it was a momentary glitch.
  • Holly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I didn't have this latest problem (yet), but I am still having problems with the ads blocking OP pictures and opening commentary in many design dilemmas, before and after, etc. Very frustrating and no further word from Houzz in weeks. Sigh.
  • jograce
    7 years ago
    Also still having the same issues of no pictures and incomplete statement of issue on design dilemma even after update. Also on iPad app
  • debqhix
    7 years ago
    Sooooo wish they could fix this. I hate having to log in through Chrome on my iPad to view discussions. Oddly, I have not had any response from Houzz via email since the last "fix" they suggested that didn't fix it-and it's been quite awhile. I get the feeling it's a low priority. I guess I can always delete the app & move on to something else.
  • Judy wear
    7 years ago
    I too have been experiencing the same problems on my IPad
    They know about the ads, but they need to know that people are having problems viewing the original posts & pictures attached. Some threads, the whole post & photos can be seen with the ad below. Others, the photos get dropped & only the first line of text is viewable.

Someone wrote above post & it is exactly what I am experiencing. I have contacted Houzz about 2 weeks ago with no response under Contact Us. I have updated, cleared history, etc. I even took my IPad to the Verizon store to see if they could help. I luv this site (Houzz) but getting disappointed as problem persists.
  • Holly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes, Judy, that is exactly the problem. Houzz has said they are looking into it, but obviously no solutions yet. I think people just need to keep harping on the problem. Or else people will stop looking at Houzz and maybe then Houzz will realize this is serious.
  • Emily H
    7 years ago

Just checking back in. We are still working on this to find a more workable solution. Stay tuned and sorry for the wait!

• Holly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you Emily!
  • debqhix
    7 years ago
    Just posting to keep this thread going until they get a fix. I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle of other issues. Obviously it is much more intricate than I'd imagined. Thanks Houzz!
  • Holly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    And thank you, deb, for checking in and bumping this thread. I check every day for further responses, but I'm still having the ad problem so it obviously isn't fixed. We must continue to be squeaky wheels! ;)
  • wilson7200z
    7 years ago
    The frustration with this continues! Why can't houzz fix this. Very disappointing
  • Holly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Wilson7200z, I don't know why this is so complicated, but I hope they really are trying to figure it out. Thank you for commenting, so that Houzz can see that multiple people are still having this problem.

It sure isn't good for the advertisers, if we only get angry when we see the ads blocking pictures and text. I do spend much less time on Houzz than I used to.
  • jograce
    7 years ago
    Me too sworthy1. Again, what good is to have adds if people are dropping app? Prices for the adds will drop too, so I cannot see why it is taking so long for fix.
  • Judy wear
    7 years ago
    This is a problem that has been ongoing for at least 5-6 months. To my dismay, I thought more progress posts and updates would have been recognized. I pictured about 30 IT Houzz employees finding solutions regarding how Houzz reaches people from all over the world. All I am seeing, is periodically Emily will post we are working on the problem. Is there only 1 person in the Houzz IT department? What is really going on? Most corps would have had this resolved in 24 hours!
  • Holly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Same old problem. In fact, I think it's getting worse. Is this still "being looked into" by Houzz? Sorry, but could you (Houzz) try a little harder. I miss so many dilemmas and before and after threads, thanks to those stupid ads. I'm not the only one. Please help!
  • Emily H
    7 years ago

Hi Holly, (and others) I completely understand your frustration and where you are coming from. We are still working on this and I definitely apologize for the frustration!

• Holly
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I think the problem is finally solved! I see whole posts and pictures I haven't seen in months. Thank you so much Houzz!