SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ewwmayo

Fall Haworthia Assortment

ewwmayo
7 years ago

How are everybody's Haworthia doing now? It's about that time where they start waking up and getting on with the growing!

Haworthia 'Mirror Ball'

Haworthia maughanii 'Goal'

Haworthia 'Yuki Guni'

Haworthia bayeri ex Florent Greinier

Haworthia 'Fire on the Mountain'

Haworthia truncata 'Araiso'

Haworthia marabilis splendens JDV/94/108

Haworthia 'Lace Queen'

Haworthia truncata JDV sn Bolo

Haworthia herbacea lupula JDV 94/37

Comments (118)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

This came to me from Steve Hammer with this label: Haworthia cooperi v kubusiedrif. I could be H. cooperi v dielsiana or H. cooperi v gordoniana

ewwmayo thanked bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
  • ewwmayo
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Pagan - One day... I will be overflowing with cooperi's and it will be a great day. Our evening lows here are between 4°-12°C so I'm planning on keeping mine out for at least another week yet. My shade cloth has been all packed up.

I also thought I had 'Suisyo'. Must have been sold out as well. =( I like that truncata of yours, it's quite chunky and artistic looking.

Michael - Let's hope we can make it to Pagan's size in three years. Four is too long!

Howard - Your springbokvlakensis 'Adele' looks pretty similar to mine. Appreciate you sharing the photo. If we do another Sheilam order I would pick up that dielseana too, haha.

My ID for 'Marcello M'. looks to be be matching yours, thanks! That was really helpful. Your kubusiedrif is pretty nice. If you end up getting enough pups I'll have to bug you for one.

This is actually a pretty helpful activity for me. Many of my smaller plants have grown and are looking very different from when I got them. At least I can still figure out what's what and document them.

Haworthia pilosa MBB7248 - I think? Not sure.
    Haworthia emelyae JDV 90/8

Haworthia 'Obama' PP 17

Haworthia pygmaea argenteo-maculosa JDV 91/38 Humer

• Related Discussions

Have Assorted Perennials

Q

Comments (4)
    Hello! I have a number of perennials available: Dappled willow 'Hakura Nishiki', hardy cacti, miniature rose 'Ralph Moore', wild violets which bloom spring - fall, etc. I am interested in your Sambucus 'Black Lace'. I had a very large collection on elderberries but had to leave them behind when we moved from Illinois to Colorado in December. It's one of my favorite shrubs. Best wishes, Erylyn
    ...See More

Assorted problems

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi there, Salvia often does that falling over thing, often after flowering, and more likely with plenty of moisture and or good feeding. The S nemorosa often starts sprouting new stalks in the center. So mine grow in full sun on a gravel bed and never tip over. You can prune yours close to the ground, in order to get at least new tidy foliage. In our region they could flower a second time. Mine did never managed that 2. flowering, just few leaves, cause I starved them too much/ didn't have the time to look after them 100%. This year I pruned them somewhat earlier and plunked down some mineral fert, and yes, new foliage starts sprouting quickly. And red foliage is a sign of stress, so as draught is not the reason, my guess would be water logging/ stress by too much water. Perhaps that helps, bye Lin
    ...See More

Bear Valley hike (assorted pics)

Q

Comments (20)
    Tunilla, I forgot to mention the bears! Well, the bears - black bears - are still there. I encountered a large pile of scat while hiking, but it was several days old. A couple years back, however, I did come across an active den... thankfully, no bears were at home! Regarding soil-type....I remembered that I took this pic. Calocedrus growing from the rock-face. I wish my camera had a better zoom feature.... but you get the idea. This is right by the bridge where one turns off to park. Josh
    ...See More

Does this assortment of symptoms mean anything to you?

Q

Comments (60)
    I empathize with this thread. When DS2 was a toddler, we went on vacation and I noticed one morning he didnt look right. His eyes looked puffy. This triggered roughly 100 doctor appointments and diagnoses ranging from spider bite to some macular degenerative disease. When the puffiness spread so that in the morning he looked like the Michelin Man, and he stopped walking(because he was too heavy for his own little legs), and I was afraid he wouldnt be able to breathe through the night, I literally(and I know how to use this word correctly) SCREAMED at doctors. We got a diagnosis. There were a few bad years. There is lifelong disability, but he is strapping. I advise people to "let your Mama Bear out."
    ...See More
  • Pagan
    7 years ago

I got my dielsiana from AridLands. It was in the first batch of 5 haworthias I've ever bought, together with my truncata var maughani, cooperi var truncata, venosa var tesselata and cooperi var laeta.

I still know them all! I kind of waited a while until I've figured them out before getting more.

This thread is making my next list grow exponentially. Arg.

Pagan

ewwmayo thanked Pagan
  • michael19
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I know what you mean about adding things to your list...I think I need H. dielsiana now too! It reminds me of H. cooperi v. truncata but with a larger rosette. Alas, Arid Lands doesn't seem to have it right now, as far as I can tell. I might be interested in a group order from Sheilam (assuming that the phytosanitary certificate, etc., make a group buy a good idea?).

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Sheilam works a bit differently than STC. STC is a flat rate for phytosanitation and postage of €100 for our group unless the order is over 2.2Kg, then we add €10/Kg. We also accumulate discounts based on total yearly value of our order. Sheilam offers no discounts. Sheilam has a flat rate for phytosanitation of 480ZAR and a prorated postage based on order value. For our group, we take each person's value as a percent of total and that is what you pay for shipping. The phytosanitation is divided equally. Currently480ZAR is $35.00 USD. Since currency rates fluctuate, the actual dollar amount will change respectively.

• michael19
    7 years ago

That makes sense. I'd be interested in a group buy if there is one before it gets much colder (or in the spring, I guess).

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Time to revive a wonderful picture show...

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    7 years ago

Wonderful indeed. If I had the time, I would put all the pictures together with names and make a Haworthia book. Add it to mne. My book just can't compare to these.

ewwmayo thanked Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
  • bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Thx Stan

• ewwmayo
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Howard - You forgot to put the names! The second plant is a very nice size with light green leaves. Third one is pretty chunky and also appears to be quite large. =)

Haworthia 'Anna Cocozza' x 'Ruby Star' HAM 2854

Haworthia 'Praxiz'

Haworthia magnifica var splendens JDV 99-27

Haworthia 'Hana Aoi'

Haworthia mutica stormsvlei

This is getting harder and harder. I think I need a checklist to figure what I have and haven't posted!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

The first one is just a maughanii, the next is truncata v congesta and the last is an obtusa 'Yamata Black'. I'm not certain about the last one, because the leaves are more pointed in their tips than 'Yamata Black', which is more blunt or rounded.

The first pic below is from STC. The other pic is from another source.

• ewwmayo
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh, that's H. 'Yamada Black'! At time, it was too expensive for me to even consider. Now I easily would have bought one. Have you had yours for long? Perhaps it was more plump it would look closer to the other images?

Also updated the two questionable IDs that I posted last night. Wasn't even close.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

My Yamata Black isn't from STC. I haven't had it long and received it from someone who grows Haws hard so I would agree it is a bit dehydrated. I am hoping it plumps up as it is a nice plant.

STC, when they were offering it, this is the plant being sold at €50 ($55.00 USD). It's barely an inch across!

They offered this plant up for auction this past summer and it sold for over €800 ($880.00 USD)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Another installment....

Haworthia obtusa

This might be a variegate?????

Haworthia bayeri Ex Florent Greinier

Haworthia Shin Kotohime x splendens

Haworthia 'Bev's Wonder'

Haworthia magnifica v nova GM 320

Haworthia 'Mirror Ball'

• ewwmayo
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Howard - That obtusa definitely looks variegated. Nice find.

Shin Kotohime is a pretty neat hybrid. Wouldn't mind having one of those in the non-crossed version (no offense to yours, I love splendens).

For GM320, I have H. mirabilis 'splendens' instead of your magnifica var nova. You think one is a more accurate name than the other? If they are the same thing?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

My nova is from STC. Isn't yours from Sheilam? Then STC may have changed names and I was going to get one but they sold out or something?????

I also notice your bayeri Ex FG is much darker than mine. When did you get it and has it been out in the sun or just under lights....

• ewwmayo
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Howard - Yes, I got my H. GM320 from Sheilam in May. It needs to be watered a bit more, but looks to be the same as yours!! Let me know if you agree:

My H. bayeri is from May as well. It's been under lights only. I kind of rotate it between at the edges of my lights and in the middle to keep it from getting too dark. It's growing fairly well so far.

A few more from my collection, this is Haworthia emelyae var emelyae, Zebra Station, JDV 90-7. Really liking the pattern and colouration so far:

Haworthia truncata 'Rosetta'. Not very big but the new adult-shaped leaves are finally growing in:

Haworthia 'Kintaikyou'. I know a few of you out there have this one too!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

It looks like you have 'lines' on the windows which is very nice. Mine is without.

• ewwmayo
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Fall is still going strong! Lots of buds are starting to grow, although I kind of wish they were bigger leaves than flowers. Here are five from my collection that are all quite different:

Haworthia scottii IB 6617 Welgerust

Haworthia maughanii 'Maarten'

Haworthia maughanii 'Rioja'

Haworthia pygmaea argenteo-maculos AH 275 Mossell Bay

Haworthia sordida Bluecliff

7 years ago

Some of my hybrids are growing larger than the parents they came from. As soon as I get some time, got to update my picture library.

Love this thread.

ewwmayo thanked Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
  • Pagan
    7 years ago

My haworthias finally went indoors last night. Two for a closer look:

Haworthia emelyae var. emelyae (picta, GM 568), she's my biggest single rosette---over 3 inches in diameter.

Haworthia sylviae. Same species, different looks.

And the newcomers. They're still a little scraggly.

Haworthia springbokvlakensis "Devi"

Haworthia koelmaniorum var. koelmaniorum

Haworthia magnifica var nova aff splendens

Haworthia archeri (Moordenaarskaroo)

Pagan

P.S. Kevin, that Haworthia maughanii 'Maarten' is going on my list.

ewwmayo thanked Pagan
  • bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

I guess I'm going to have to jump back in here.... too dark for pics, now.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

I'm back....

Haworthia silvae

Haworthia pygmaea var. argenteo-maculosa

Haworthia Rioja

Haworthia Maarten

Haworthia truncata Rosetta

Haworthia Fire on the Mountain 81392

Haworthia Fire on the Mountain 81303

Haworthia truncata Syaraku

Haworthia fusca

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Just a couple more...

Haworthia Nagamine

Haworthia Tetra Legend of Zelda

Haworthia magnifica v nova aff splendens

• Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
    7 years ago

i need some rain to wash mine off to make them pretty for pics. lol

• michael19
    7 years ago

'Nagamine' is going on my wishlist.

• Pagan
    7 years ago

Yep. I definitely want one of those Maartens. Does anyone have an H. springbokvlakensis Devi? I'd like to see what it looks like when it's not jetlagged lol

Pagan

ewwmayo thanked Pagan
  • ewwmayo
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nil - Not sure if I ever hoped outdoor succulents to be rained on. But this would be a good time!

Pagan - I technically own 'Devi' but it won't be in my possession until next weekend. Really hope it looks good.

Howard - Great addition of photos! Your H. pygmaea var. argenteo-maculosa looks so big and chunky. And H. 'Rosetta' is quite plump and appears to be doing well too.

I think you did well getting that H. Syaraku! STC hasn't had it in stock since 2015 and the leaf patterns are really neat.

Here is my H. 'Nagamine'. It needs some more time and possibly live a more luxurious life like yours:

Haworthia esterhuizenii x 'Kegani'. Leaves seem fairly thin still and I'm hoping it grows up to be at least somewhat interesting:

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

And, here it is.....

• Pagan
    7 years ago

Ah. I knew it. This has been in my list for well nigh 4 years. No wonder I picked it!

Pagan

ewwmayo thanked Pagan
  • bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

I don't know why I didn't purchase one this last go around.... I hope they have some left!

This is the plant offered for purchase.

This is the plant for reference.

7 years ago

H. retusa 'Carl Grover'

H. comptoniana 'Aboukyuu'

ewwmayo thanked Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
  • Pagan
    7 years ago

Wow. That looks humongous, Nil.

7 years ago

well that aluminum name tag is 1/2" wide.

• Plantspace (5a)
    7 years ago

Nil they look amazing, where did you get these glossy beauties from?

7 years ago

The first one is from the Huntington Botanical Garden and the second is from STC.

They're shiny because I washed all the dirt off of them. lol

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Nil, when did you get your STC plant.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Ah, now I know. Sorry I didn't pick up on your handle.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

If it's Sunday, it must be springbok day....

While I'm happy with these, there is some disappointment in that they all look similar for being different hybrids from STC. They are still very young and with time they may develop into some very good looking plants.

• ewwmayo
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nil - Your H. retusa 'Carl Grover' is pretty neat. I have few Haworthia glossy leaves like that. How big is it? Looks like a nice size pot.

Good choice with the H. 'abouykuu'. It's one of my favourite plants:

Howard - Are those four all different hybrids? The middle two do look very similar. I remember that springboks grow slowly? May be a while before the differences become evident.

Here are my two slowest Haworthia. If any of you have them as well, I'm curious to see if they are slow for you too.

Haworthia truncata 'Maruko'

Haworthia 'kegani' x 'korizato'

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

I'll be back!!!!

• Pagan
    7 years ago

Gaa. I hate all of you. Sigh. There are 6 items in my list now and I only just potted up my last order. Why are you doing this to me. Arg.

Pagan

7 years ago

Pagan, have faith. How do you think I feel? 90% of what I saw took my breath away.

7 years ago

That Carl Grover is 6" in diameter.

ewwmayo thanked Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
  • bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Kevin, again is it your T5's or being outside for the summer that gives your Haws that purple hue?

Haworthia truncata 'Maruko'

Haworthia Kegani x Korizato

• ewwmayo
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Howard - This is from my T5HO's. My idea is to keep my Haworthia somewhere between purplish and greenish to maximize the amount of light they are able to get each day. I think this helps improve growth.

Now that temperatures are a bit lower and things are on the move again, I was able to move my lights slightly closer than before. Now to about 4 inches:

Looks like our 'Maruko' and 'Kegani' x 'Korizato' are about the same size. Appreciate the photos and don't feel like I'm the only one now. =)

• TheSucculentCity
    7 years ago

Howard and Mayo, you guys have the best stuff. Wish I could find some of the more uncommon items. Got a decent amount of stuff from Craig, and found a seller on FB who had some stuff for a fair price. Will have to wait til spring, I suppose.

ewwmayo thanked TheSucculentCity
  • ewwmayo
    Original Author
    7 years ago

SucculentCity - It's too cold and risky for me to get mail order plants anymore, but I think Howard might be attempting one last order of the year. =)

Next week I may see what interesting plants are available locally... but space under lights is now at a very high premium for me. One good thing is that winter is a good time for many succulents and definitely Haworthia.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

The group is planing one last order and STC will close after and not open again until next year. Not sure I will order because of the temps, but I will be the one to place the order next week. Our group is open.

I assume Craig is Craig Fry from C&D. He does have some interesting Haworthia.

I am interested in your Facebook vendor.

These are some things from C&D.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County