SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chezfaxou

Cats vs hardwood floors

chezfaxou
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm not fluent in english, so please forgive me for my mistakes.

I love hardwood floors : they are so cosy.

I love my cats even more (they are 2 active norwegian forest cats, they need to play).

As every cat, they sometimes vomit hairballs or fluids then hairballs. It happens one or two times a year only but my ginger can urinate on a new item in the house, especially if it's made of fabric and falls on the floor.

I am aware ceramic tiles would be a more reasonnable choice but we have tiles now, and I find that they :

-lack comfort for walking,

-have ugly grouts where the floor is used more, even if I only use steam to clean them.

That said, I must admit they are very easy to clean.

I considered the wood like ceramic tiles : as we live in Southern France, we have many great options available with italian manufacturers, but the great grouts free pictures in catalogs are not what we would get in reality. We have less hardwood options, because it's a hot place, and most people prefer tiles, even in their living room.

I'm not fond of vinyl floors, or laminate.

So I miss hardwood floors, and wonders if I should go for pre-finished oiled or water-based polyurethane.

In France, people love oiled floors : that's what you'll find the most in the manufacturers catalogs.

Varnished floors do exist, but are mostly brushed and matte. There are very few options for a satin finish.

I asked which floors would be best for me & my cats, but I got many different answers : some people say well-oiled floors will be more "water" resistant and the scratches easily repairable. Some others say varnished floors is the only way to go with pets ...

I searched the web for users opinions. Unfortunately, I did not find many. People are discussing scratches, and seem to be quite discreet about other vicissitudes.

So I'm taking my chances here, hoping you will have many confessions to make about your floors and your feline friends lives.

Thank you !

P.S : I'm adding a link to a french manufacturer catalog (including english language) so you can see what kind of floors I have access to.

Panaget 2016 Catalog

Comments (2)