SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

Planning a master bath remodel - looking for input on design

bac717
7 years ago

When I'm on GW, I'm generally over on Home Decorating, but I'm hoping to get some input on designing our master bathroom remodel from the experts here. We have a very modest master bath in our 2,000 sq, ft. house that we'd like to improve on by possibly stealing a little space from the master closet. Here is the layout of the existing bath:

And here's what we would gain by squaring off the room and losing about 30" of closet space.

I have hundreds of questions as I think about this remodel and my first question is regarding the loss of closet space. Wise or unwise??? It would certainly make the bathroom much better, but it leaves us with a 5 1/2' closet in the master. We didn't have a very large closet to begin with - around 8' - so, how big of a drawback is that? We do have a 5 1/2' closet right outside the master we could use as a second closet. There is also the possibility of adding an 8' closet to the master, by bumping into a bedroom next to the master, but that would be a big project we hadn't planned on right now.

Second question. What size vanity for the new space? Here are two options we are considering. #1 is a 60" vanity with 2 sinks. Here one of my concerns in how close the sink on the left is to the the wall and the door. If we go with 60". maybe we should have just one sink. My other concern with 2 sinks is fitting in 2 mirrors and the lighting.

(Disregard the error I made in the door swing when I was drawing the layout.)

OR if we'll have just one sink, perhaps we should use a 48" vanity and have a little more breathing room. I think it would be easier to use one mirror with 2 sconces over a 48" vanity.

If you're still reading this, I'd like to add one more thing to consider - the style of the vanity. We are kinda drawn to this style, but would it be considered too trendy?

Klosterman Construction 2015 Parade Home · More Info

And just one more picture. Here is one inspiration photo for the new master bath.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

Bathroom Remodels · More Info

Comments (7)