SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Group travel to a concert-WWYD

neetsiepie
7 years ago

I'm going to a concert I've been waiting all year for with 3 girlfriends. The venue is one we've never been to before and it's about an hours drive from my house. My friends live north of me, 2 just about an hour away, the third halfway between us. We plan to carpool to the show. This geography lesson is pertinant to the dilemna.

The show starts at 7pm, we really need to get to our seats by 6:30. 2 of the gals want to head toward my place at 11:00, pick up the 3rd, then meet in my town for lunch and then head to the venue. Knowing we'd be down in this town for a couple hours, they think we could go shopping, grab a snack, etc before the show. Also, they want to drive home after the show-which would be around 11pm ending time. Figure at least midnight by the time we could get to the freeway.

I have to work till at least noon that day, and frankly, spending 5 hours bopping about this unfamiliar town (it's a college town, too-so I know that there is limited driving areas and no parking.) Plus having to drive home after being at work, then a loud, exhausting concert just does not appeal to me. I've suggested that we rent rooms, we can share-no big deal-but one gal cannot afford to (I offered to pay her way) but it doesn't seem to be popular amongst my other friends.

Given that I'm just not up to the idea, I'm thinking I might just rent a room of my own anyway, and meet up with them when it comes time to go to the show. However, here is another twist to this-parking for the show.

The venue has very limited parking. I use ADA parking and they have noted there are only 45 spaces for that (the arena seats 5,000 and it's sold out). I looked in to park and ride, but if the show is over at 11:00, our ride back would drop us over 1.5 miles from where our cars would be parked. These logistics are insane!

My suggestion was that we can ride park & ride TO the venue then have a cab take us back to the car(s). Again, I offered to pay for the cab but I'm getting some resistance. I offered to get a hotel room, we can park at the hotel and cab it to the venue & back, but some are resistant.

I'd like to spend the time with my girlfriends driving down and back, but NOT make this a 20 hour day-I'm waaay past doing that stuff. The last show we went to was a logistical nightmare also-traffic on the freeways, took over an hour to get out of the parking lot, I didn't get home until after 2am and the next day none of us was worth a damn. Standing and dancing for 4 hours can take a toll when you're over 55!

So, if you were in charge of this, what would you do?

Comments (20)