SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elbell19

Need to figure out or design 'style'

elbell19
7 years ago

Long post, so summary: remodeling 1980 home. Need to figure out style theme. Not sure what to do with porch which I feel dictates the rest of the design choices. Need help :)

----

I posted this question in the remodel forum, but I think that was a mistake. I am re-posting here w/ some edits.

Our remodel is underway and everything is going great. We had some hiccups in the planning process, but now it's in the hands of the GC and he's fantastic. Honest, always on time/follows through, willing to talk about ideas, loves what he does, etc. We hit a home run with that choice.

The house was built in 1980 and was a tract home. However, it's in a prime location in our town, so remodeling is a common practice. People rarely move. When we tried to figure out what our 'theme' or design ideas were, it was kind of hard since we don't mind some 'farmhouse' touches, but let's get real: it's a 70's/80's tract home. 8' ceilings, etc. What we do know is that we don't like 'modern' design.

Our current dilemma is that the GC has built this very pretty front porch. The original plan was to paint it, but, now, after seeing it, I'm not so sure. He really did built something beautiful. He did it using hardly any metal, notching the beams, etc. Now, we're wondering if we should stain it.

Problem is we figure we'd need to carry the theme of that stained wood throughout the home and feel that may look silly, given the 'bones' of the house? I mean, the porch itself is pushing being a bit too much, but we like it.

So this has lead us to re-visiting what the heck our 'theme' is going to be for this thing. Doesn't staining the wood mean 'craftsman' which I assume the house is very not?

Some pictures:

^trying to re-do a snout house....

^ standing in entry

^looking toward entry to kitchen/dining and living room on left

^ old living room.

^looking into new kitchen/dining. Kitchen sink will be under window on right. pantry is on the right foreground.

So, as you can see, pretty blank slate. Choices we're currently committed to (I will mark unchangeable items with a *):

white shaker cabinets *

'imperfect smooth' texture throughout *

5" can lights.

Solar tube in entry

single Marina Drum Pendant over kitchen table. My wife is in love with it, so it's happening. *

5-panel doors

walnut butcher block island; island cabinets likely painted different color

nickel hardware

42" stainless built-in fridge *

O/M cabinet (not in drawing above) *

36" BlueStar range in SS *

33" Kohler whitehaven apron sink *

Stainless steel prep sink *

Stone on pillars is "Bucks County" by Boral.

Cedar shingles above door and, in phase II, above garage. *

perimeter counters were going to be a leathered steel gray granite, but was 2nd guessed as looking too much like laminate, so we're back to the drawing board on that. Looking toward white maybe quartz with maybe a sea foam green backsplash or who knows. Perhaps a dark gray there.

I'm sure there is more, but need to stop somewhere. We've never done design stuff like this before. We have a designer that helps, and her input is that it can be "craftsman/farmhouse/eclectic" which scares the heck out of me.

thoughts?

Comments (16)