SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gthigpen

Any direct vent fireplace guidance?

gthigpen
7 years ago

I've looked over in the Fireplaces forum and this forum. It seems most of the discussions are several years old, so I'm hoping for more recent feedback.

We will be using a gas direct vent fireplace in our new build. Finally made time to go to a showroom today and wowza, they are a lot more money than I was expecting. My very high level research has led me to believe that we looked at some pretty high end ones today. This showroom sold Mendota and Fireplace Extrordinaire. Both very nice....particularly liked the Mendota one but of course it was the most expensive.

We're building a traditional house, so don't want modern. What are some other brands that are good? I don't need top of the line, but some features I thought were nice were variable speed blowers, the ability to 'dim' the fire so it doesn't output so much heat, and I liked the surrounds that don't have the louvers on them. High heat output is a nice perk, but here in North Texas it will be used more for ambiance than actually needing to heat our house. What about online sources? I don't need install, I've got people who can do that.

Trying to nail down the last bits of our budget and this one snuck up on me on how much it could be. Would love to hear what others picked and any pictures you have.

Thanks!

Comments (23)