SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shebabee

First cuttings rooted! And some questions

shebabee
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Whoo-hoo! I've been trying for the first time to root some rose cuttings. I took cuttings of Mlle. Cecile Brunner (from two different mothers), a few from my Sophie's Perpetual, Perle d'Or, Heritage, and Gruss an Coburg. I've followed Connie's (Hartwood Roses) excellent tutorial for most of them, and recently tried Kim Rupert's "burrito" method for a few more mature cuttings.

My first successes are with Mlle. Cecile Brunner, not surprised; I started the cuttings in July, and within a few weeks I could see good roots through the milk container. A couple of weeks later, some nice leafing out, and as of a week or so ago, one little rosebud! There are two cuttings in this bottle; I think they are White Cecile. I'm going to move these outside into a protected spot now. So proud of this, my first baby rose plants!:

First question: Should I nip off this bud and any others that may develop on the baby plants?

I started six Gruss an Coburg cuttings on 8/29. Only three days later, they were all sprouting from their bud eyes--wow! I have read that leaves do not mean there are roots, but all of my cuttings from all the roses, save for a few that quickly browned and bit the dust, feel firmly rooted (yes, I have been bad and tugged gently). But--somehow I cannot see roots through the milk jugs, except on the Cecile cuttings. ??

Several other cuttings from July & August show some leafing activity at the bud eyes, but again, I cannot see any roots, nor on the GAC cuttings, but they feel rooted.

Question: So--do I wait to see roots before removing the bottle top and beginning the hardening off? Some, like GAC, have a lot of leafing going on.

Next, for the "burrito" cuttings: I have four Perle d'Or cuttings in a burrito. I opened the wrap after about 18 days to find that all of them had callused, but I didn't see any roots sprouting. Should I re-wrap the burrito and let them go for another week? Or does callusing mean that they are ready to be planted in a cup?

So far, I haven't had success with Sophie's P., which, of course, is the one I most wanted to root. I haven't yet had many stems I can cut from my plant. I've tried two less-than-ideal cuttings in soda bottles--one has rotted, one *may* be rooting--and I just put one more mature stem in a tiny burrito wrap. Soon I'll have more stems I can cut from my mother Sophie, but they are currently full of buds or blooms so cannot cut yet.

Thanks for your patience with my long post. I appreciate any suggestions and advice. I am thrilled to have *any* success at all with this venture. I would not have even attempted this had it not been for this group.

Sheba

Comments (13)