SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

Is it wise to plant Tea roses in fall in zone 7a?

KnoxRose z7
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Just like it always does, life seemed to get in the way of my planting plans this summer. It is already September (although you wouldn't know it by the 85+ degree highs we've had and will continue to have all month) and I still have several roses that I had wanted to plant out this year waiting in pots in the semi shade, limping along in the heat, being watered almost every day to keep them going. I've read many times that fall planting is a great way to go, but this was always in reference to modern shrubs. Most of the roses I still have yet to plant are 1-2 gallon-ish sized Teas, or larger Noisettes and I'm just not sure if fall planting these in my zone is a good idea or not! I'm in zone 7A, in a somewhat protected pocket of the East TN valley, and usually it doesn't start dipping down into truly "cold" temperatures until mid November, sometimes even December. Due to the pattern of the high temperatures being especially high this year, it seems safe to say that this years cold may be a little later than normal. I won't be using any sort of fertilizer (other than possibly a bit of manure mixed into the planting hole) so that I can try to avoid pushing tons of new growth. Yet still I wonder, is this a bad plan on my part? It seems that they might have a better chance in the ground than in pots, if there is one thing this year has taught me it is that growing roses in pots is a very high maintenance activity, and that sometimes I just don't have the necessary time available. I lost a few young potted roses last winter, but I think the casualty count will be much higher after I clear out all the goners from this past month's unrelenting heat & lack of rain. Even large potted roses have died on me this past month! Much respect to those of you who maintain these large, lush potted gardens! I don't see how you do it!

So, in short, in your experience would I be better off to just plant the remaining Tea & Noisette roses this fall, or would it be better to baby them through the cold months & wait on planting until next spring?

Thanks to all who reply!!

Jessica

Comments (9)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm