SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoerosehill2

What type of butternut squash is this?

I purchased some for preserving at the local flea market yesterday. They all weigh 4-5 lbs, and have a long thin neck and are curved towards the seen end. The seed end looks like a regular butternut squash. They are just really large and shaped differently. If I find out what they are, I am wondering if I should leave this variety sit for a few months before freezing or canning to develop it's flavor.

Comments (3)

• farmerdill
    7 years ago

Thereare several butternuts with thin curved necks. Best known are Neck pumpkins, Tahitian squash, Trombocino, Pennsylvania Dutch. ..Three weeks is usually suficient to cure them. They just need to lose some of the excess water. Need a cool dry area to cure to store them while curing.

Donna Roesink Zone 6a Ohio thanked farmerdill
  • Donna Roesink Zone 6a Ohio
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, guys. I think they might be the Pennsylvania Dutch variety. The seller purchased a bunch of them at a product auction and there is a huge produce auction in Mt. Hope, Ohio which is 30 miles from here in Amish country. I will let them sit for 3-5 weeks before I do anything with them. I have them in my garage- weather is still in the 80s here. Is that too hot?

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH