SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
antonie2000

Chips in faux stone fireplace - what binder? How?

antonie2000
7 years ago

Hi there,

I have learned so much simply from lurking here that I hope someone can help me with a fireplace repair problem.

We have a 1960s ranch with the obligatory faux stone fireplace. The (veneer) stones are very rustic, with different sizes and shapes and with lots of crevices. They are colored in four different shades of brown, black, tan and red that blend and overlap. Many of the stones have small chips so that the gray concrete, rather than the pigmented top layer shows. I would like to fix the more visible chips.

I have the pigments from the original manufacturer and copied instruction sheet: we are to mix the pigment with the binder (which looks like Elmer's glue) in a cup and use a brush to apply the color. This does not work - the pigment does not stay suspended in the binder but drops to the bottom. The mix also dries very quickly. If I want to patch even a small section, I have to work with all 4 pigment mixes in multiple different concentrations at the same time. By the time I am done mixing, the first color already has the pigment collecting on the bottom and is dry. Also, if I invest all the time to color match, I first want to fill some of the chips. For that I need something like putty or filler material, not a liquid binder.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a better binder that makes this more like working with paint? A recommendation for an easy to use filler or spackle for faux stone? A link to an instruction video? I really need some help ;-)

Many thanks!

(I do not know the manufacturer of the repair kit because our mason gave it to us 8 years ago. The brand of the stone appears to be CVS but I cannot find anything online).

Comments (3)