SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tacotac

Planting my wisteria cutting in order to plant as a tree

Tiffany Marshall
7 years ago

I had success with my wisteria using the air layering technique. The roots a

bit dry on one cutting, but it should come back now that they are both placed in pots with potting soil and have been watered. I cut a few branches off so they aren't over loaded with leaf growth. I have a question though. I want to make these guys into trees like the parent plant. I want them to be around 4 ft. tall or so. The cuttings though are just over a foot maybe? So how can I do this as far as making the trunk, so it doesn't have that "stump" near the bottom? To make it easier, I drew a picture to demonstrate.

I guess what I am wondering is if I can plant it this year, and next spring when it starts sending out it's whip like growth, I can dig it up and plant it deeper, kind of like the concept of planting a grafted rose a couple inches or so, so that the ground is a couple inches higher over the bud union (union below the ground) leaving the new top vine growth. Would this kill the plant? Would it make it rot? Could I fill the deep hole with sand that wouldn't keep it overly moist?

Comment (1)