SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielcmendoza

Is This Financing Scenario Too Good To Be True?

Chris Pierce
7 years ago

I'm getting ready to purchase land and build a home under the following circumstances:

• I intend to buy land from an estate at $100,000 for 25 acres, or $4,000 an acre. I will be paying $3,000 at the closing as a down payment to the estate. The executor of the estate has agreed to owner finance for a short period to allow a deed in trust to be issued in my name. The bank I am working with requires this deed in trust to be in effect for a minimum of one day, and will then appraise the land and home at appraised value as opposed to acquisition cost. At the application for a construction loan, the bank would pay off the estate that is financing the loan for the balance owed.
  • I intend to sign a contract with a builder to build the house cost plus for a retail amount of $275,000. This is the turnkey price that the builder would charge the average individual.
  • During the application process, the bank will appraise the land and home to determine a value for both, looking as far as 30 miles out for accurate comparisons. The bank is willing to loan 95% LTV of the appraised amount. Hypothetically, our acquisition cost of the land and the construction cost of the house will not exceed 95% of the appraised value. For example, earlier this year, property less than a quarter of a mile down the road from this land sold at $125,000 for 21 acres, or $5,900 per acre. At that valuation, our land would appraise for $147,500. Is it fair to say that there is $47,500 of instant equity in the land?
  • The builder is willing to allow me to use my own trades where possible to bring the actual construction cost down. In theory, the same house would cost me $235,000 to build as opposed to the $275,000 retail price. Is it fair to say that there is $40,000 of instant equity in the home?

Again hypothetically using the numbers above, we would have $87,500 of equity in the home. If the bank values the land and home at $422,500 ($147,500 land value based on similar per acre selling price and $275,000 home value based on retail construction cost), and will loan 95% LTV of the appraised value, which is $401,375, but my land purchase price of $100,000 and construction price of $235,000 only total to $335,000, would I potentially be able to enter this transaction with little to no down payment or closing costs?

Does this scenario sound too good to be true?

Thank you for your patience in reading through and responding.

Disclaimer: the appraised values above are estimates only and I'm fairly confident that we won't see those exact valuations. I'm also aware of the old adage.

Farm House · More Info

Comments (18)