SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rwiegand

upgrading receptacles with undersize ground

rwiegand
7 years ago

Lots of conflicting info out there. I will ask my inspector, but I'd like to go into that conversation with the best information in hand-- he's very unhappy that his office granted a permit to an unlicensed homeowner, so I need to appear as competent as possible. (Amusingly, he just signed off on my rough-in after finding no problems, grumbling furiously all the while. He seemed angry that I did it all correctly.)

The part of the house I am not rewiring has two prong outlets and the boxes are wired with 14-2 NM cable that has a 16 ga ground. (common apparently between 1950 and 1970). The grounding wire is currently attached to the boxes.

I'd like to install three prong outlets.

May I install a three prong outlet, wiring the ground to the receptacle and including a pigtail to ground the box? Or, must I protect the circuit with GFCI and mark the receptacles as ungrounded? In the latter case may I attach the undersize grounding wire to the receptacle or not?

Opinion on the interweb is all over the place on this, so I'd really appreciate a reference to code (2009 is the relevant version in my jurisdiction). I haven't been able to find a direct answer myself, so I appreciate the help of the pros here.

Thanks!

Comments (16)