SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schanop

Wok cooking on AEG induction wok hob

Chanop
7 years ago

We did our kitchen renovation last July. At that point in time, I had not had any experience on induction before, but would like to try it. Because I cook with wok more than half of the time, decision was to go with two Asko fusion volcano wok burners and Asko bridge induction unit set symmetrically covering about 1200mm width of cooking area.

Fast forward a year and a bit, I am quite satisfy with Asko wok burner for what is available in Australian market. It has concentrated inner flame that focus heat to the central area of a wok. Despite being quite low on fire power, rated around 3kW, it works quite fine for small cook with thin 13" carbon steel wok. Capital culinarian burner, if available in Australia, would be a better choice due to having much higher fire power and still has concentrated flame around central area of a wok.

Induction becomes my go to hob if I am not cooking with a wok. It is much faster, more powerful, easy to clean etc. If I had known this at the time of renovation, I would have spent more money to get an induction wok hob. It was, and still is, more expensive option, and I was not sure about spending money on some thing I was not confidence about.

Last month I stumbled upon an ex-display AEG induction wok hob at 50% off. So the fun begin.

Here was one of the very last cook that I used both Asko burners together, one on low simmer, and one on high heat. Noted that I had already swapped position of left hand gas hob and induction hob.

AEG hob requires a little larger cut out, so it was time to cover up every thing for stonemason to do his work.

There was a lot of dust, but it was not too bad cleaning up.

Electrician came in a day after to add a new dedicated 15A circuit. AEG hob is rated at 3.2kW on boost, 2.3kW on continuous maximum. It looks nice and neat and clean.

My first cook on it was fun. Heat was good. 13" wok that I have was a bit too small so its bottom was sitting right and the bottom and it rocks around a bit. A 15" one that I have has a bit of a flare so it sat on the upper rim and its bottom was a bit far from the glass. When doing 80ml boil dry test, it seems heat transfer wasn't good.

So I was off to buy a new wok. The plan was to make a template of a good fit shape.

This 14" was the best I found on a short scout trip. Despite not being an exact match, it seems to sit fine in the bowl

After a bit of seasoning, then it is time to check heating pattern. It is clear that right in the middle of the wok, it is less hot that the ring around it. During cooking with stir frying action, wok tossing action, this does not seems to be a major issue. I did a quick 80ml evaporation test, and it came to be about 2min30sec with this wok. The behaviour was that most of the water was evaporated very quickly till it reach the dead spot where evaporation rate drops off quite a fair bit.

Today is my second day with this hob, and I am extremely happy for my little kitchen reno/upgrade, only a year after original renovation.

Comments (25)