SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rezhen_mohamadamin

Acidic soil for blueberries

Ray Jeff
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello,

I was wondering if I can get a few pointers about how to acidify the soil for blueberries. I have about 21 different varieties of blueberries I have. I planted them in containers ranging from 9 gallon to 20 gallon containers. This is due to heavy clay soil in my yard. Basically, I used peat moss, garden compost, perlite and black gold organic potting soil and I mixed them together. I have a ph meter that I bought for $10. And it read between 6.5 and 7. I had a few trees that I chopped down last year, so removed the top 6 inches of the soil around the blueberries and mixed the removed soil with wood chips and pine needles and refilled the pots. I also added a few inchest of pine needles as mulch around the plants. The ph meter still read 7. So then I added soil acidifier which contain sulfur a few days ago and still had the same reading. I went to Starbucks and picked up used ground coffee and put a hand full around the blueberry plants and still read 7 on the ph scale. Am I doing something wrong or is that ph meter not functioning correctly? I planted these plants less than 2 weeks ago so I'm not sure if it takes time for the ph to go down. Please let me know if I'm missing anything. Thanks

Comments (10)