SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raymondo17

Battling Oxalis and Bermuda Grass in a Fescue Lawn

raymondo17
7 years ago

Last year's California drought conditions restricted our watering to 10 minutes once a week, which took a toll on my once-gorgeous tall fescue lawn. Now that the restrictions have loosened up, I've been able to bring my lawn back from the brink with a concerted effort of methods I learned in this forum, which included aeration, fertilization with soy bean meal, and an application of compost. But as the fescue responded positively, so did the weeds. Crab Grass was abundant, Oxalis is attempting a take-over, and Bermuda Grass is taking a stab at superiority.

With the help of a cool but somewhat pricey gizmo -- the Fiskars Deluxe Stand-up Weeder -- I've pretty much eradicated the Crab Grass via manual efforts. But I believe the Oxalis and Bermuda Grass are going to take chemical warfare.

I was happy to find an organic product called Natria Lawn Weed Killer, which is chelated iron that will reportedly kill broadleaf weeds, including Oxalis, and leave the Fescue unharmed. But is there an organic method of ridding my lawn of Bermuda Grass? My neighbor recommended Ornamec, but I'd much prefer to go organic if at all possible.

Lastly, if I'm battling both Oxalis and Bermuda Grass, should I attempt to do it simultaneously, or stagger the assaults? And if the latter, which should I tackle first?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals