SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliciaandbilly

Need help picking Bosch dishwasher - have to decide today!!

aliciaandbilly
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Counter is being installed on Thurs and the free hand-me-down dw we got from friends met a terrible demise this weekend, so now I'm trying to figure out which Bosch dishwasher to get. Hoping someone here can provide some clarity on the differences between various 800 series models, since I'm not having much luck on the website or through customer service. We're still on the fence regarding custom-panel or not, but I've listed the stainless steel panel model #'s below. I'm assuming the difference between these and the S#V models are strictly the front panel?

Features we absolutely wants are: top controls, 1/2 load option, NSF certified sanitation option and Aquastop.

Features that would be nice: cycle appropriate for washing stemware and eco fast wash and dry options (since we tend to rinse items off first).

SGX68U55UC - I get that this has the water softener feature, but does it have the 1/2 load option? According to customer service it doesn't, which could be a deal breaker. We're on municipal water, so I think our water is only mildly hard if at all (NY Metro area). Does this feature really make a difference for only mildly hard water and is it worth the lack of other options/cycles that the SHX68T55 offers?

SHX68T55UC - Any important bells and whistles that this has that the above does not? And what wash cycle does this offer that the SHX65T55UC (500 series) does not? It looks like that is the only difference (plus the clip/bottle holder accessory) for $50 between this and the 500 series. Wondering if it's worth it if we forgo the softener and features on the model below?

SHXN8U55UC - The only "significant" differences I've been able to discern between this and the above is the 3rd rack 2.0 (flexible tines and wings?) and 40 dBA instead of 44. And I realize this isn't available w/ a custom panel. Anything else? Is the new 3rd rack design worth it? Seems like very little for a $180 difference!

And speaking of custom panel, we currently have IKEA Grimslov cabinets. Has anyone installed an IKEA cabinet door on the dw themselves? One dealer I called said we would need a carpenter to do it. Not sure how complicated it is to install and would prefer to not hire another contractor to deal w/ this project, since we're GCing it ourselves.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Comments (9)