SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gbillan

Buying home near train tracks?

gbillan
7 years ago

We are considering making an offer on a home in the Royalwood community of Winnipeg. The only thing is it's about 100 yards from a train track. You can't really see it form the house we are looking at, but you could likely hear it. The people across the cove would have the train track basically in their backyard. I did some research and CP rail said the train comes 4-6 times per day, and the whistle does not blow, as the city requested it to be silenced. We spoke to 2 neighbors on the street and they say its a non issue to them; one whose backyard faces the tracks, and one neighbour who would be in the same situation as us, right beside the home we are looking at. The city has the home assessed at $457, and the listed price is $460. Has a massive backyard which we love and is on a nice quiet street. Love, love the house too.

Only other issue is that my GF and I both take the bust to work, and the closest bust stop is approximately a 12-15 minute walk away. For us, 10 minutes was sort of our limit, but 12 minutes is right on the edge of that.

Your thoughts? Concern isn't so much with us,. and I think we could deal with the train. Main concern is the resale impacts.

Here's a video. It's a 5 minute video. I'd appreciate you watching at least the first 3-4 minutes to get a sense of the whistle in the distance and then the actual train passing. The video is taken form the driveway of the home we are considering: https://youtu.be/rTNbIFaIl3M

Comments (47)