SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

Excalibure...update

rox146
7 years ago

I have only used it for the first time this year...BUT, notice a huge difference. Like the Queen of plumeria says ( Laura) ....what you use this year, you reap the benefits next year. Thank you FLORIDA COLORS. roxanne

Comments (20)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    7 years ago

I think quite a few of the old Gardenweb crew have started using it too. I'll switch a portion of my plants to it next year and use it side by side as I finish up my last 25lb bag of Nelson's Plumeria fertilizer. The only thing I am not sure about is the once per season application.

• rox146
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I bought the 9 month one, because out season is so long. I think Laura buys the 6 month one?

• Nancy
    7 years ago

Novice here but can someone tell me why to use this rather than the high phosphate fertilizer many recommend?

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    7 years ago

Rox, it just seems to me no matter how effective time-release agents are the plant will initially have a fairly sharp upward curve in available nutrients followed by an ever decreasing amount culminating in a deficiency before end of season when nutrient uptake can make a difference in having a great start next year. Purely personal opinion on my part. Maybe its just a control or therapeutic thing but my making the rounds once a month with a tablespoon and bag of fertilizer is something that I am not wanting to forego.

Petunia, It's simply two different trains of thought and people AND products swear by the effectiveness of each method. I don't know if there is one right answer for everyone and encourage you to experiment to see what works best for you...all factors considered (your geographic location, weather conditions, time investment, comfort level, financial investment, end results, etc.).

• rox146
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I always still alternate with liquid seaweed and fish emulsion in weak doses. Things were so late this year in getting going compared to last season.

• jandey1
    7 years ago

I started using it last year and had healthier and more flowering plants this year. That could also be because of good spring rain, too, but I'm a convert now. It's just super easy for me and my schedule.

• Nancy
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone for your responses. Just ordered Excalibur and have the high phosphate type too. Will do some experimentation next spring when it's time to give it a go.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Roxanne!!

i just saw this post and wanted to comment on the Excaliber.. I did buy the 6 month time release and I applied it mid June. This was the first time for me Using this, but I have always used my regular Foliage Pro every so often when Im Watering.. Maybe every two weeks.. It's just routine for me, but I did apply a little less Excaliber then recommended because of all of the trees I have...

This has been the best season so far for me as blooms go, but I do feel that my trees are finally maturing and they are loving the watering schedule as well as the hot, humid summer that we are having..

I remember when Tex was posting about fertilizers and what should and should not be used.. If I'm not mistaken, he did quote Richard Neely the head of Dyna Gro and used some of the findings in his research.. I found that interesting since he did use a quote that we have seen on this forum before about high P numbers and why they are not good.. I even think he used one of Al 's articles when he was researching this product. It seemed like tex liked what Al said.. :)

I will admit it's easy to dump a tablespoon. On the base of the tree, but I am still thinking that mine need more during the growing season. I do love it and I will buy it again next spring !! Two gallons of the granular ..

Seeing The blooms this year and inflos appearing even before I applied any F.C fertilizer makes me still think it's what we do to the trees last year.. My trees have had the best season so far. So after I apply this new Excaliber next spring, I should see a great response like I had this year !!

I think I had a great season because of keeping a good schedule of feeding, watering and Applying a little 6 month time release as well as the heat, humidity and rain showers. The trees are growing and maturing now so that they are pushing more and more blooms.. I don't Believe it's all from the Excaliber ( because I was seeing many signs of inflos this spring even before I applied it in June ) but I will use it again Next year. I like it.. But I will still use the old stand by ( Foliage Pro). It's just my way of knowing what they are receiving more on a schedule. So I'll use both.

Fabulous year indeed, Roxanne! Guess what??? I found those Hawaiian chocolates that you had at your first luau. Lololol.... I had to buy a bag. They were so delicious!!!

I do like the Excaliber along with my other feeding schedule.. It's easy . But I still have to have my hands in it while watering..

Soooo. Yes, I love this stuff!! I hoping I'll see a huge improvement next year. But that will also be because of the mature branches and trees.. If it works, then I am Happy!!!

xoxo

laura

• Nancy
    7 years ago

Thank for your long explanation Laura! Glad I got it today.

• rox146
    Original Author
    7 years ago

ra...a BIG hug and hello. Where do you find Foliage Pro? Green Thumb here does not have it....Not all of my plumes got the Excaliber either because I ran out....so my 05 seedlings went without. I have been thinning the herd on those anyway as some still have not bloomed and only 5 are worth keeping anyway.

BTW, Lowes got another JJ shipment finally yesterday, got the only Carnival....LOL. One in...1 out. Take care, roxanne

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    7 years ago

Only place I have ever seen it is online for about $40/gal. Maybe the local seedy hyrdoponics store (you know the kindin the old strip center with wood paneling and dim florescent lighting, etc.) has it in stock. It seems like market trends are ripe for a more upscale, polished, organic hydroponics "store" inside a big box store.

Excalibur is such a niche product they have no choice but to sell online only.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    7 years ago

Had to laugh at the " seedy" store.. It's all to true, but now the owners know me and his pit bull seems to be very friendly!! Lol...

K.. I would think we will see more items available in the Garden Centers .. I have seen more products around my area and they do sell Dyna Gro Products, so I am sure they can order it for me if I ask.. Sure would be nice to have a store that I could frequent and feel like I am not being watched by my local undercover police.. Lololol!!

Roxanne.. I still go to the "little strip mall" to get my supplies.. It's like being on an adventure!! My Hydroponic store sells everything that I like ( well kind of..) they have 3,5,10 gallon containers as well as mixes, fertilizers, B-1 and Dr Doom that I like to spray on my trees to get rid of any spider mites.. They have small bottles of the Foliage Pro as well as the one gallon. The one gallon last me two seasons since you only use 1-2 tsp per gallon of water. Let me know and I'll send you the small size so you can see if you like it!!

Sending hugs back your way!!!

Laura

• Jirapa (aka Boom) M
    7 years ago

I would like to try Excalibur. When should I apply it to a plant? Is it too late at this time of the year? Thanks,

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    7 years ago

LOL pit bull.

• hendo13
    7 years ago

I have been using Excalibur for a few years now and can't say enough about it. I started a small plumeria nursery and it saves me so much time and I've seen a huge difference in my plumeria growth and flowering. I'm also getting more seed pods which I believe is because of the huge difference in the amount of blooms I have each year. I don't think Excalibur triggers seed pods but because of the amount of blooms I'm getting more seed pods as well. Florida Colors has an amazing product with their excalibur.

• Jirapa (aka Boom) M
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I ordered it last week and it would be here tomorrow!!! Is it too late to feed them at this time of year ? It is a thriple digit in my area this week. Any suggestions?

• rox146
    Original Author
    7 years ago

wrong time of year to start fertilizing in SoCal. In my opinion...wait till you see the first push of leaves...like late February. I got the 9 month one because of our area.

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    7 years ago

I would not use a full dose of it this late in the year for plants in a container. Maybe 1/4 recommended dosage. The PSA recommends anyone in zones 8 or higher not fertilize after Oct 15th. Someone in a cooler zone may already be past the recommended last fertilizing date. Those recommendations are based on fertilizers which probably break down faster than Excalibur. The good news if you are in a cool zone is you have it to start next year right.

I believe Excalibur became commercially available just before the 2015 growing season so this is just the 2nd year of it and by all accounts those early adopters of the product are very happy with the results. I hope they continue to get great results when they start the 3rd year in 2017.

• Jirapa (aka Boom) M
    7 years ago

Thanks guys!!!