SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peninsula_petals

Moving - best advice for digging up climbers and ramblers

The house I'm renting, I thought I was going to be purchasing, so I planted about 125 new bands in the spring. I am now moving in about a month to a new location (that I am buying), and I 'AM' taking all my roses with me! They will all be potted and over wintered in my garage until spring, where they will then be planted in a new bed. I've overwintered in garages many times, as I have moved a lot!

The majority of them are still fairly small and won't be a problem potting up, but what about the climbers and ramblers? Some of them have grown and already have 12 ft. canes (i.e. Bleu Magenta for example}. Should I cut those way back, or try to keep as much of the canes as I can, and maybe bind them together? I hate chopping off all that green healthy cane, but I realize that may be the best way to pot them up for the new home they will have.

I will be starting to dig them up this weekend and will keep them watered well and in a dappled shade location to prevent as much 'stress' to them as I can.

Thank you in advance for the suggestions!

Mindy

Comments (7)