SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikerno_1micha

Why do you use 'pumice' verses 'perlite'?

myermike_1micha
7 years ago

Many think they are essentially the same thing and serve the same purpose except one being lighter and heat to the point of 20 time expansion..Why do you choose pumice over perlite?

Thank you

Comments (51)

• Pagan
    7 years ago

Seconded.

myermike_1micha thanked Pagan
  • myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Does one have a better advantage over another other than weight????

I mean, like as in does one provide better aeration, or moisture, or fertilizer within a mix?

Thank you

• Related Discussions

Do you use the original gritty mix or amend it and why?

Q

Comments (3)
    I use the original mix for my tropicals, and it works great. But some of my caudiciform succulents rotted in it, especially those that were in large pots. So I swapped the 1 part fir bark for 2 parts medium pumice. This gives me a completely inorganic mix that will never compact, and is nearly impossible to overwater. Then there are my epiphytes, many of which I grow in 1/2-3/4" lava rock, but that's getting a little off topic. As for Ca/Mg needs, I use Botanicare's Cal-Mag Plus liquid fertilizer instead of gypsum and epsom salt. That way I know the plants are always getting a specified amount, and I can change the dose if necessary. I still think Al's original mix is best for most plants, but I grow a lot of rot prone species, and I like to experiment.
    ...See More

perlite vs pumice ? your preference?

Q

Comments (47)
    As I understand it the point of using porous materials is not to increase/decrease water retention on the outside of the particles, but to provide sufficiently large pores to allow air circulation around the roots while still providing enough humidity (from water stored in the inner pores) to help the fine roots to stay alive. That's the point of using products like Turface or Floor Dry. I'm just wondering if pumice is really in the same category. If you look at xerophyte nyc's experiment here, you'll see that a similar substrate, lava rock, holds very little water. (Thank you for that, xero!) The pores in volcanic rock may be so poor at storing water as to make these substrates comparable to granite, a substrate used for its minimal water retention.
    ...See More

Hey Friends, what kind of pots do you use and why?

Q

Comments (40)
    Hobby, you got it exactly right :) The larger the pot, the larger the holes should be. I imagine the bottom of my pots having holes that are many and also almost half of the area of the bottom should be the drilled holes. With potting soil that I use, I have to have that ratio for drainage holes, otherwise my plants will be in trouble in the winter months. Also if the bottom of the pot has "peaks and valleys", if you look inside the pot and see "valleys" you have to make more holes there, becase the water gets trapped in those areas and its very bad for the roots in the winter time (see the strategically placed holes in my blue bucket in the picture I posted above :))
    ...See More

Pumice and Coco Coir, Discoloured Pumice, Haworthia Watering Questions

Q

Comments (23)
    I think the drying times that you calculated with the pumice will be detrimental only if you water the plant/pumice while it is still wet. Beyond that, I think you may be over-thinking this and over-worrying. I get 1/8" pumice from General Pumice Products here in the U.S. I just sifted and washed a bucketful over the weekend. It is drying in big oil pans outside -- and right now, it's really cold here in SW Florida. I don't think it will be fully dry until Thursday, and that will be 5 days. Chris is right -- use unglazed terra cotta pots if you can. Even with pumice, they will remain lightweight. Haworthias in pumice shouldn't need to be watered more than once a week, unless you live in hot southern Florida in the summer. Even then, mine only get watered about every 5 days. You don't HAVE TO water a Haw the very minute its mix is dry. You can wait a day or so and it will be fine.
    ...See More
  • bunkfree_4a_canada
    7 years ago

Lol, Breton!

I use perlite because I haven't found any pumice yet, but I don't like it much for many of the reasons hookilau mentioned above. I also don't care for the stark whiteness in my mix.

(side note - I typed 'hooki' but my phone autocorrected to hookilau LOL)

myermike_1micha thanked bunkfree_4a_canada
  • Pagan
    7 years ago

Yes, Mike. Perlite will float longer on the foam and get stuck on your bangs if you're drinking from an open barrel.

Pagan

myermike_1micha thanked Pagan
  • bunkfree_4a_canada
    7 years ago

*chokes on coffee*

hehe, nicely done, Pagan :)

myermike_1micha thanked bunkfree_4a_canada
  • bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Agree with above. The dust and floating drive me crazy. Since using pumice, I will never go back. My Haworthia LOVE it! The product sold by General Pumice is almost dust free. For those living in Canada, I would be happy to order product and ship to you. The downside, of course, is the postage from me to you. Shipping from General Pumice is free.

myermike_1micha thanked bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
  • nomen_nudum
    7 years ago

Pumice offers better aeration than perlite as part of the mix but it isn't as micro pourus as perlite. Pumice is also more stable lasting eons longer in a mix than perlite. With a minor draw back pumice tends to pinch if the succulent has a caudex forming habit I find use for both softer perlite and pumice in parts

At the same time pumice has a shorter dry time than perlite but is more reliable in higher heat conditions with the same volume of water in a same size pot for pot side by side same exact plant comparison. I also notice no significant differences in feeding.

Pumice and it's longer life span provides a soil that has pumice as part of the mix will always have the same amount of pumice in it's mix, the pot with perlite as part of the mix won't always have perlite in it and will also out last other gritty mix ingredients as well.

Another pumice advantage I notice is it's alot easier to water any succulent removing the ideas of doubts and silly dowels.

myermike_1micha thanked nomen_nudum
  • Renee
    7 years ago

You might want to take a look at this excellent post on water porosity of different mix components by ewwmayo.

I would like to replace perlite with pumice, but I simply don't have the space to store 15# of pumice on my balcony. Plus, I won't be doing any major potting until next Spring. Maybe I will find some storage and give it a try then.

myermike_1micha thanked Renee
  • bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    7 years ago

Nomen, you are soooo smart. Thx for your comments!

myermike_1micha thanked bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
  • nomen_nudum
    7 years ago

Biker; Not me it's like being barefooted in lace free shoes ( aka sandals ) just to save from laundering hard sun ordered soaks while remembering my own name can also be a challenge

Mike ; That last one is yours DFTW soon, so I wont have to do for you on delivery after that DFTC ( don't forget to call).

Perlite ( super chunk) still viable ( and still floating VIA used as a top dressing) on the surface nearing the summers end of a E.schoenlandii is seen only because of the level wind protection it got from blowing it out of the pot while outside allowing for a desired cooler pot Note: this is also a pumice free pot.

E. Kunthii with pumice used as a top dressing and a good part of the mix ( is also a perlite free mix) got less wind blowing protection allowing for a warmer pot but got an equal volume and frequency of watering as the E. schoenlandii through out the warmer summer months.

Undetermined (or perhaps subject for debate) Pumice with no perlite in part of a mix also offers easier and faster indoor to outdoor transitioning

• Renee
    7 years ago

@nomen_nuden "Undetermined (or perhaps subject for debate) Pumice with no perlite in part of a mix also offers easier and faster indoor to outdoor transitioning"

Interesting! How so?

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    7 years ago

Never seen pumice for sale here, so perlite it is. How I hate that stuff though!

Gill

myermike_1micha thanked greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
  • robinswfl
    7 years ago

There IS WEIGHT to pumice, a little more than perlite. Also, pumice seems to hold water a little longer than perlite. If I plant in pure pumice, my mix will stay moist for 3-5 days, but less with perlite. That said -- pumice doesn't float to the top of a mix, doesn't choke you with dust, and doesn't discolor in the soil mix. I use both. If I am going to mix with C/S soil, I prefer pumice. But the big issue is -- what can you get your hands on?

• kwie2011
    7 years ago

Pumice is heavier & weighs down my pits better. It's WAY easier to work with (the static in perlite makes me insane). It doesn't blow out of pots, and it tends not to slowly work it's way to the top. On the other hand, I like perlite for light mixes and to starting leaves.

• ewwmayo
    7 years ago

I prefer pumice because:

1. It has a much better CEC than perlite (nil).
    2. Better durability / reusability without turning to dust.
    3. Doesn't float as much as perlite or bark when watering (but still floats and can be annoying).
    4. Less prone to settling to the top or bottom of a soil mix (but will rise to the top if you completely flood the pot often).

Characteristics that I find to be about equivalent:

1. Water retention is similar.
    2. Pumice is about as hard to get as large chunky perlite.
    3. Both can perform well in a mix or when used alone.
    myermike_1micha thanked ewwmayo
  • LH CO/FL
    7 years ago

Renee, I think you would be surprised by how small the 15lb bag of pumice is. It comes in the large priority mail box.

myermike_1micha thanked LH CO/FL
  • hellkitchenguy Manuel
    7 years ago

I only use Perlite in hanging baskets, because it keeps the weight down. I got a large sized Perlite from RepotMe, which has very little dust. I mixed it 50/50 with regular soil for my Pothos, and so far I haven't had that floating problem.

myermike_1micha thanked hellkitchenguy Manuel
  • hellkitchenguy Manuel
    7 years ago

I agree with Leslie, the 15 pound bag of Pumice is not that large. Here's the box mine came in

I'm pressed for space, yet I have it on top of my dresser. Keeping it on a balcony would be easy peasy

• LH CO/FL
    7 years ago

I'm thinking we need to get a group discount from Lexi at General Pumice with all these glowing recommendations!

myermike_1micha thanked LH CO/FL
  • nomen_nudum
    7 years ago

Renee I find it easy for someone to want to disagree with the sometimes while more often than not obscure methods I use.

I just blame it on my window space indoor lighting equipment I use and the heavy pumice mix that's perlite free for a faster indoor to outdoor transitioning that is needed for certain plants to induce it's growing with out worry of rot or other problems that often occur with weaker lighting conditions

An example of brief. I have some succulents that go from under winter lights during the entire winter to a inside window sill in March to fullest harder sun in a day with no sun filtering protection screen at all as early as late April early May.

Haworthia Reinwardrii V. something

one day timing to fullest morning sun from 7 AM - 1:15 PM then hitting it again during 3PM until sun set day after day after day everyday untill its to cold outside for it to be in.

But not every succulent can handle front of the house full sun here and can still handle the same speed of transitioning just not pot VS. pot side by side day by day . On the other hand we would be calling this one toast if kept side by side in the same lighting sun time conditions. Fact is it at this adobe it would still be toast even if left inside sill with a bug screen down all summer long IME it likes late day full hard sun for apx five to six hours all summer long.

but as of lately there is no late day four -six hours of sun out back so it is back out front for what ever sun it can get ranging times are 9 AM to 1:PM then sun hit again at around 5 PMish to sun set.

When I mention full hard sun what I mean is: If you picture a soccer field and you are standing in the middle of that soccer filed your in full hard sun You might need a little something any ideas what that is ?

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    7 years ago

I have used pumice and love it. But it's too expensive to pay for shipping, since it's not sold around here. Therefore I prefer the larger sized perlite, when I can find it.

I use the smaller size perlite if I can't get the larger size. I like the lightness of it, because I have huge pots for plumerias and citrus. My plants have always done well in it.

myermike_1micha thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Dave

I thought that GeneralPumice ships free within US?

myermike_1micha thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • hellkitchenguy Manuel
    7 years ago

GPP does ship for free. It's not expensive at all, and it's a beautiful product

• Renee
    7 years ago

Leslie & Manuel: Thanks for letting me know about the size. I can absolutely store that on my balcony. Gonna order some Pumice ASAP.

nomen: Okay, so if I'm understanding you, you're saying that using Pumice instead of Perlite (and the fact that your plants get strong light of some kind year round) eliminates the need to acclimate them when transitioning from indoors to out. Did I get that right?

I'm interested in any method that will reduce the risk of sunburn when I transition next year. I'm thinking about, but not totally committed to, using lights this winter.

"When I mention full hard sun what I mean is: If you picture a soccer field and you are standing in the middle of that soccer filed your in full hard sun You might need a little something any ideas what that is ?"

Hmmm... Lemme think... Give me a minute...

Got it! Pumice, right? LOL =D

Thanks!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Manuel - I am just going what they advertise on their website: http://www.generalpumiceproducts.com/order-here/

• nomen_nudum
    7 years ago

Like many other places no sunlight is strong year round here Inside lighting is a help but is still apx 1/5th of the outside sun that is already less time in the winter months.

Point being is ( IMO) pumice is better/superior and easier to manage in comparison to perlite for many succulent applications.

I also think it's a little important to understand the plants we grow regardless of the substrates we choose to use also. IME any jade in the same exact day to day sunlight conditions as that small Hawothia in prior pic would also be called toast even though both are in a sized close to correctly pot of pumice with no perlite.

• hellkitchenguy Manuel
    7 years ago

Rina, I was agreeing with you. I said that it "does ship for free".

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Manuel - I must be loosing it....have to pay more attention :)

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

All great points which I really appreciate)

Nomen, thank you for holding my fertilizer!!

Has anyone here addressed what I consider very important? If pumice makes a difference in nutrient absorption and provision as compared to perlite? In other words, does pumice hold and provide nutrients better than perlite?

Thank

• Pagan
    7 years ago

I'm afraid pumice will do no such thing, Renee.

Using pumice instead of perlite will not "eliminate the need to acclimate
    them when transitioning from indoors to out". The substrate has little, if anything, to do with adjusting plants from full sun to winter shelter and vice versa. Plants handle these fluctuations by regulating the production of chlorophyll, among other things. In shadier conditions, they will produce more in order to absorb more energy from the light source. In full sun, they will slow it down a bit, or produce other compounds, in order not to burn. Plants that can not do this switch fast enough will burn. Most plants that are not gradually reintroduced to full sun will also burn.
    However, it IS true that if the plant is not
    suffering from root-related stress due to poor substrate, they'll readjust to full sun
    faster. But using pumice is not a shortcut to the process of gradual acclimatization.

As for nutrients, Mike, perlite will hold fertilizer-loaded water longer, since it stays wet longer, especially if it is used unsifted (i.e. with all the dusty bits included). The down side of this, of course, is that the roots also sit in wet substrate longer. Some succulents will tolerate it, but a lot of them will not. How much nutrient they get depends on how much they will absorb before the substrate dries up. Drying up, in turn, depends on ambient temperature, humidity, general root absorptive capacity and, fundamentally, the overall constitution of the substrate in the pot.

Pagan

• ewwmayo
    7 years ago

I would disagree about pumice vs perlite and nutrients. Perlite has a Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC) of around 3-4 meq/100g, while pumice has a CEC of around 9.9/100g (and possibly up to 73 depending on the research paper). So pumice > perlite for nutrient-holding ability.

As for acclimating succulents between indoors and outdoors, my strategy is to increase the amount of artificial light given to match the outdoor light. My measurement is PAR DLI and this methods allows for moving succulents between the two with minimal personal+plant stress.

• Pagan
    7 years ago

My strategy is to open a large umbrella.

• nomen_nudum
    7 years ago

Asked : Does pumice hole nutrients better ?

Better in what way though ?... Does it hold more nutrients ? Kevin answers with indirect wording yes but also mentioned yes in the exchange rate. Does pumice hold those same nutrients longer ? ... Pumice cant hold what it doesn't have available in nutrients as it exchanges them at a better rate in comparison to perlite.

A succulent in a pumice free mix that also gets minimal times of sun transitioning ( ironicly ) as it doesn't require any hard direct sunlight.

Feeding regiment one smaller dose feeding back in mid April of 2016 ( Was in a smaller pot with less mix) & one suggested by label feeding on re-potting of a slow release non liquid pellet form for it's nutrients

I ask does a slow release nutrient source last longer/ work better in pumice or perlite ? If pumice where to hold and release nutrients better and/or longer wouldn't the suggested labeled feeding directions also be different in volume /and or frequency ?

• myermike_1micha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nice plants Nomen....Great help every one..I really appreciate this..I bookmarked it and will be ordering Pumice too...

• ewwmayo
    7 years ago

Nomen - that's an interesting question and I'm not really sure the answer. For sure fertilizer instructions don't get into this detail because most people/users don't even bother to read the minimal instructions there in the first place.

Either way it is possible to slightly modify fertilization to optimize, if the grower cares to do so!

• nomen_nudum
    7 years ago

Mike: As long as you don't mind sifting and sorting for sizes I think you can find the same pumice that is also called drystall IMO a 50 pound bag has a decent use-able yield for a few dollars.

Kevin I imagine people do read but only understand words in the manner that they choose.

• PRO
    General Pumice Products
    7 years ago

I am just stumbling on this feed now, thank you to EVERY SINGLE person in this feed that has ordered our product or represented the product honestly for us! I am so glad that you all are loving our pumice and I would absolutely LOVE to give you all a discount on your next order for the glowing recommendations and just in thanks for your return business! Next time any of you want to order just email me at Lexi@GlobalPumice.com beforehand and I will shoot you the discounted ordering information! Hope you all have a lovely week!

Best,

Lexi

www.GeneralPumiceProducts.com

• palmbob
    7 years ago

I have grown many plants in pure pumice for many years at a stretch... i challenge anyone to do that with Perlite. Also, I often transfer my potted plants to the ground and perlite will all blow away in a matter of days, leaving a more dense mix behind. Pumice stays where it's put. Saying that, I prefer Scoria over both since white flecks in the soil is less ornamental that dark red or black soil, so Scoria is my favorite over both (though can be a bit too water retentive if dealing with super delicate succulents that rot easily)... at least as a garden mix. Potted it really makes little difference as I put top dressing on all potted plants- that keeps even perlite in place and makes the plant/pot presentation all that much nicer (plus holds moisture in a bit better).

• Pagan
    7 years ago

Well, sheesh, you say that now, Lexi, after I already just posted an order!

Pagan

• kwie2011
    7 years ago

Palmbob, what size scoria do you use, and do you get it somewhere in particular? It varies so much. The stuff I can buy here is too large and not porous enough for me. It's meant as decorative landscape gravel.

• LH CO/FL
    7 years ago

Thanks, Lexi! (Also after I just stocked up with 3 bags...)

• Renee
    7 years ago

Yes, thanks! I just got my first order yesterday. I love how little dust there was with the product. With Perlite, no matter how much I sift and rinse, I still end up with too much fines.

• Renee
    7 years ago

Palmbob, you mentioned you've grown in pure pumice. I think I've also seen pics by hookilau of plants in pure pumice. How well does that work out and why would you choose to do that instead of mixing with grit?

• PRO
    General Pumice Products
    7 years ago

Aw darn! So sorry guys lol but hopefully you'll order again in the future & can use the discount! My thanks for your reviews never expires, nor will your discount ;)

• hellkitchenguy Manuel
    7 years ago

I have one cactus growing in 100% Pumice. Accidentally knocked it over a few months ago, and it has long, healthy, beautiful roots. When I keep it out in sunlight, I can water it with impunity.

• PRO
    General Pumice Products
    3 years ago

Just an update for anyone following this thread who has purchased or wants to purchase General Pumice's product we have changed our website domain! It is now www.GeneralPumice.com ! Hope that's helpful!

• ewwmayo
    3 years ago

It is! I'm still using your pumice, so many years later. =)

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    3 years ago

Me, too. I guess I never posted on this thread, but I was using it then and am still using it now :-)

• robinswfl
    3 years ago

Me too! I may not use a ton -- but when I want pumice, it's ALWAYS General Pumice Products I order from. Over the years, I have found the product CONSISTENT in size, low in dust. I no longer sift it, I just wash it and it's fine. I like perlite because it's light in weight -- BUT, living in FL, the humidity turns it a disgusting mustard color AND then it softens in the pot and breaks down, thereby defeating the purpose of porosity. I use pumice WITH SOIL, or with a gritty mix of Turface and Manna Pro....and I use pumice ALONE.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz