SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_23166783

Do You IM And What Are You Using?

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

IM= Instant Message.

I've been using Yahoo Instant Messenger for years and years, but the new version is awful and in general, it seems Yahoo is going downhill.

(I've got a lot of tech to keep up on, change and begin using!)

Do you use an Instant Messenger and if so, what do you use for your computer or laptop?

I have an Apple MacBook, btw.

Thanks!

Comments (21)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Yahoo will probably cease to exist as we know it since it was sold to AOL. I hhave not used IM in years. I used to use ICQ. I know some of my friends who are on Facebook use that messaging.

User thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • kathyg_in_mi
    7 years ago

Nope

User thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • Dakota
    7 years ago

I used to use aol instant messanger many years ago when I was in middle school but I haven't used IM since then

User thanked Dakota
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've also read that a "yahoo.com" email address reveals one to be an ancient dinosaur!

• katlan
    7 years ago

No I don't. Raven, what a blast from the past hearing bout ICQ again. I'd forgotten all about it. Used it all the time back in the day.

User thanked katlan
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

I think SMS messaging (text messaging) has helped to bring on the decline of PC-based messaging. It's everywhere anyone goes, and even young retirees (my age peers) use it a lot. But care is needed - some react poorly to receiving a text message when there's really no urgency and an email would serve fine. Among teens and some younger millennials, the preceding doesn't apply.

I agree that some email addresses are uncool. I would add to the list @aol.com and @ any internet provider (comcast or any cable provider, att or any telco).

User thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I use SMS when out with my phone, but when at home and on my laptop, I really liked Yahoo's IM window. It made it easy for me to shoot off a message or a question, or link something (mostly to DH).

• User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What are the "cool"er email addresses these days? I kept on hearing about Mailchimp when I listened to Serial.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Gmail is probably the most popular, I have my original Hotmail and use it and Gmail daily. I have a yahoo that I never use and a few other for when I don't want to use my regular emails.

User thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • artemis_ma
    7 years ago

I have a yahoo.com mailing addy -- but I only use that one for an archaic mailing list I'm still on. I use gmail for nearly all my mail -- I decided that my ISP kept switching names and being bought out, or transferred -- the latest being AT&T to Frontier -- that I was tired of having to update all my friends and accounts about the mail addy, that some time ago (before the last two changes) i switched to gmail. I think Google will be around a while.

PS, my brother still uses AOL.

User thanked artemis_ma
  • sleeperblues
    7 years ago

"Uncool" email addresses? Now I've heard it all. I guess I'm uncool, but everyone and their brother still seems to find me.

User thanked sleeperblues
  • susie53_gw
    7 years ago

I use my iPhone or iPad. Love the IM.

User thanked susie53_gw
  • Pawprint
    7 years ago

Nope just text.

User thanked Pawprint
  • moonie_57 (8 NC)
    7 years ago

I'm uncool, not only do I have a yahoo addy, I also still use "lol". hahaha. :)

User thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
  • Jasdip
    7 years ago

Hahaha, yahoo is my primary email. I have a gmail account for junk. I don't like it.

I remember ICQ! Wow.

User thanked Jasdip
  • cynic
    7 years ago

I still use it and am going through the frustration of Yahoo. I'm trying to hang in there until Pidgin gets an update to keep using it. I used Pidgin for the client and it worked great until the update. I'd rather eat grits and pickled herring than have to text. I despise screwing around with a tiny screen when I can have a 17" monitor in front of me. Text is for emergency or times when someone isn't available. I've never contracted the phone addiction from which so many suffer.

I went so far as to set up an AOHell account to keep in touch with people until Pidgin/Yahoo is resolved but the others with whom I IM are either too stubborn or too scared to make a change. I've been looking for another option so I can continue using Pidgin. Haven't had time to do massive research though. Indications were that ICQ is still around, which surprised me.

User thanked cynic
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 years ago

I agree, I think gmail is hands down the most popular and cool (or at least not uncool) email address.

Re some of the comments above, many don't know that one can send SMS messages to many phones from an email account, and also the reverse, send email messages from an SMS app.

I have a Verizon cell phone. An email addressed to xxxxxxxxxx(my phone number) @vtext.com arrives as a text message. In the other direction, if I address a text message to an email address, like donald_duck@disney.com (instead of to a phone number), it arrives as an email.

For ATT phones, I think the domain is @sms. att.net. Try sending an email to yourself from your text app. If it goes through, you'll see what your return address is.

User thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

I have my iPads set up to receive any calls or texts sent to my iPhone. I rarely have my phone near me when I'm home, but I'm seldom without an iPad.

User thanked Fun2BHere
  • wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

Ditto what Ravencajun has.

It's not that it's really uncool to have one email over another. More so that it is unprofessional to have a business and be using an email account like hotmail or yahoo or your local service provider. You will generally be taken more seriously of you have your own domain email addy. Gmail is fine in most cases for non tech services but use your business name not some cute username.

But nobody informed is going to take someone seriously who offers technical services that uses a free hotmail account.

User thanked wildchild2x2
  • Pawprint
    7 years ago

Does anyone remember Prodegy? That was the first instant messenger I used in 1995. The usernames were just a number, no personalization then.

User thanked Pawprint