SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
william_robb44

Lawn was destroyed this summer, need over seeding advice.

William Robb
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So my lawn took a huge punishment this late spring and summer. A friend helped me cut down a huge tree that was dying, I built 2 patios (one in the front and one in the back) and I landscaped a little too; building a few planters and such. With all the dirt that was accidentally scattered all over and the vehicles driving in and out, there was a lot of trampled & exposed areas where crab grass and everything else took over. It's pretty bad and I'm planning on over-seeding soon.

My questions are:

Should I do something about the weeds BEFORE I over-seed? I know putting down chemicals isn't the greatest when you are close to putting seed down. If I do put chemicals down then I have to wait awhile before putting grass seed down and that pushes everything back later into the fall.

My father-in-law has a slit seeder I can borrow for free. Will that be enough to get seeds into the soil? Should I still mow the grass very short before overseeding, even with a slit-seeder? Should I dethatch or anything else?

I guess I'm worried about so many weeds crowding out the new grass, preventing it form getting started.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

(I'm in southern PA)

Comments (7)