SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mlmb70

Leesburg, VA pollinator garden townhome for sale/new stewardship

mlmb70
7 years ago

I have a townhome for sale in Leesburg, VA, with a Doug Tallamy-inspired backyard full of native pollinator plants. I have enjoyed black swallowtails, a monarch or two, hummingbirds, hummingbird moths, and a wide variety of dragonflies, insects, and native bees and wasps. (Yes, I have yet to be stung!) I have 30+ native species, many purchased at Watermark Woods or at LWC's native plant sales. The plant list includes prunus serotina, zizia aurea, passiflora incarnata, wisteria frutescens, penstemon digitalis, veronicastrum virgatum, Asclepius tuberosa and Asclepius syriaca, aquilegia canandensis, aronia arbutfolia, Carex pensylvanica, iris cristata, pycanthemum muticum, and many others! If you are interested, please email me at gcwindc@aol.com. It is always best to pass along these plants from one steward to another!

Comments (11)

• Hudson Valley NY (zone 5)
    7 years ago

KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH that is a shame the plants were removed. I've seen it happen in both my parents' previous homes - plants removed & area 'tidied up'. I sometimes wonder what will happen to my garden when I move, I am adding native plants etc. I just hope 'pollinator gardening' will have become mainstream by then & the plants will be appreciated as a valuable resource by the next person.

• mlmb70
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That is what I fear:. People tearing it up and/or spraying the chemicals. I assume people are slowly waking up to the problem---elementary school children in Virginia are expected to know that they can help the environment by planting natives! However, not enough emphasis can be placed on the word "slowly."

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

We just bought our house and the PO has a beautiful hummingbird and butterfly garden (a couple really) but had let it overgrow. We love birds and beneficial bugs but not the overgrowth so started pulling some of the million milk weeds, well about 1/4 of the way through I googled it and realized monarchs need the milkweed so I halted father in laws progress. I could easily see someone else having ripped everything out though since it all appeared just "overgrown". We are going to cycle though a year to find out what is what at this point.

• theparsley
    7 years ago

That sounds like a good plan! Maybe a butterfly-friendly, pollinator-friendly garden will never look totally manicured, but on the other hand I think we're right to want our gardens to look cared-for and presentable. It's good to take the time to learn and observe before making major changes.

• mlmb70
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

That sounds like an interesting opportunity to observe and research! People have commented that my garden is unorthodox.....but I already knew that.

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

The grass area to the right is the area that had way too many milkweed. I am okay with non-manicured as it requires less care lol. We are leaving all the milk weed by the pond. This grass area has some shorter plants and some bushes that I would like to isolate in the grass

front area under window also needs something, rock maybe?

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

Pond area

• mlmb70
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What is that tall grass growing in the front yard? Is it just standard grass that has grown tall (which may have very limited ecological purpose), or is it something else? Carex/sedges are native grass look-alikes.

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

Front of house

• Hockeymom84
    7 years ago

Well that is the question, it is very uniform in texture and height as opposed to the actual grass.... It is inside the planting bed as outlined by pavers..

Sponsored