SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
t1mama

Garbage disposal leaking- questions re: new GD and air switch

t1mama
7 years ago

Hello all, wasn't sure if I should post in kitchens or plumbing.

A few weeks ago, I got a metal spoon totally and completely jammed in the garbage disposal and youtubed the techinique of using an allen wrench on the bottom to get it unwedged. Since then it's been leaking and I pinpointed the leak as coming from the reset button. I'm guessing the spoon may have done damage to the seal and we probably need a new garbage disposal, right?

We currently have a Insinkerator badger 5 but I'm thinking I'd like a 1 HP unit, if I can fit it under there (see picture below). Maybe the ISE Evolution? I'd like something quiet but powerful. Fingers crossed for some Labor day sales

I'd like to install a countertop air switch if possible since we already have a hole in our countertop next to the faucet that I think could be used for this purpose, currently covered by a plate and not used for anything. Right now the disposal is operated by a switch under the cabinet (seen on the right side of the first pic) and it's a giant pain in the butt when washing dishes.

The question is given the configuration of my under sink area, with the location of the plug and the switch, would a a larger garbage disposal fit under there and could I install an air switch?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (18)