SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

How do you enjoy the fruits of your labor?

IdaClaire
7 years ago

Obviously, we all come to this place because we have at least a small measure of interest in home décor and design. (Many or perhaps most of us have something more like a raging interest, but that goes without saying. ;-)) I'd like to know how others enjoy the fruits of their labor. Once the room comes together as you want it - or even during the process, where adding that perfect rug or painting that gorgeous color makes the space come alive - how does that translate into your enjoyment of the space?

For me, I spend a lot of time simply sitting and looking around at it all. Recently I thought of all the constructive things I could be doing instead of just sitting with a cup of tea and looking around at the spaces I've created, but for as long as I can remember - in as many homes as I've lived in (and I've been keen on decorating each one of them, no matter how modest they were) - it's been my habit to, well, simply spend time admiring my creation.

My first home-away-from-home was in the Philippines. It was a cute little 3-bedroom concrete house with banana trees in the front yard and an amazing bougainvillea spilling over the carport. I poured my heart into decorating that little place, and was so proud of it. I often walked outside and walked back in, as though to see it with fresh eyes. I longed for my family back home to see it, but of course they couldn't be there with me. I spent a lot of time wondering what they would think of what I'd created. It's many years later and I'm quite confident with my own style, but I do still find myself giving a thought here and there about whether certain people in my life (especially those who have gone on to other realms) would feel comfortable in the latest home I'm making. I like to think they would.

I hope it doesn't sound conceited to say that I sit and admire my home! I have to assume pretty much everyone who gathers in this forum appreciates their home on some level. All that sitting and looking at it, though ... I caught myself doing it last night and just had to smile. But if it wasn't worth enjoying and appreciating, I don't think there would be much point.

Comments (34)