SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjc48

September FOTESS - An Apple A Day!

sjc48
7 years ago

Good Morning, All, and welcome to the September FOTESS swap! Our theme is "An Apple A Day" and we'll be dealing with all things Apple!

But first!! FOTESS is a members only swap group, and if you would like to join us, we'd love to have you! Please contact Jeanne/sandlapper_rose or me, Shirley/sjc48 for info on how to join!

Okay, An Apple a Day! We'll be doing 3 different things, all very easy!

First of all, you will be sharing "An Apple a Day" for real. You'll be posting an "Appley" item each day. This could be your favorite apple recipe, a small blurb about your favorite apple or share your last trip to an apple orchard with us. Let's see how many "Apples a Day" we can come up with!

Secondly, we'll be playing "Team Apple Bingo"! More about that in a bit!

And third, you will be sending your partner an Appley card, a SMALL Apple giftie, and seeds, if you have them. Apple seeds, of course, or any seed that has the apple name, apple colors, etc. Use your imagination!

Sign-ups will be until Sept. 5th and you will have until the end of the month to send out.

Now - Team Apple Bingo!

When you sign up, you will choose 12 words from the Apple list, and houzz message/email them to me. You must send your words when you sign up!
When signups are over, I'll assign you to either Team Jonathan or Team MacIntosh.

In addition to the first one to call Bingo, a prize will be given to the team who has the most points. Points will be given for each word called that the team has. For example: I pick the word "apple". Three team members on team MacIntosh have it so they get 3 points. 5 people on Team Jonathan have it so they get 5 points. There will be other chances to win points for your team!

Remember, signups are until September 5th, you have until the end of the month to send out and you MUST SEND your bingo word list to me when you sign up.

Any questions? Concerns? Let me know!

Shirley!

APPLE BINGO WORDS:

crisp, cake

pie, tart

turnover, juice

fest, seeds

butter, sauce

orchard, cider

bees, slice

core, peelings

tree, jelly

blossom, strueduel

dumpling, dried

green, bad

rotten, baked

crab, raw

cooked, candy

rose, pomaceous

picker, ice cream

ala mode, computer

cinnamon, sugar, crust

Comments (315)

• BenLovesBeets (Zone 7b)
    7 years ago

Annie great post, I struggle with weight/allergies/ and sometimes skin infections from candida overgrowth so I may try some good ol ACV I use it to clean but not so much on me :) plus who doesn't want shiny hair!!! Great Apple of the Day!

• kchd
    7 years ago

Good morning! Shirley asked me to post bingo words while she is away on her trip. Today's bingo word is: BUTTER!

Happy Tuesday!

• Related Discussions

Typical September Day

Q

Comments (4)
    Isn't it amazing that when doing things we really enjoy doing, it does not seem so much like work.....even though it is?!?! Your kitchen is really pretty and with all thats going on it really makes it very warm and inviting. I admire you for all you do!
    ...See More

new: fotess september, johnny appleseed

Q

Comments (146)
    Annie sent me a super package. Thanks a a whole big bunch. Apple pie spice, perfect as Apple is Jack's favorite pie ( I like ANY kind of pie) Jolly Rancher candies with green apple flovor Honey Apple butter. Heavenly.Never saw this before but I;ll watch for it now. Trident Gum, also green Apple Annie also sent a fun and useful assortment of "left overs" A dibbler, which I plan to use today to transplant kale. Nice plastic, "T" labels A cube note pad, we use lots of these. as I suffer from CRS syndrome. LOL Jiffy pot pellets, use these too. seed envelopes, and a wonderful assortment of seeds. pea, sugar daddy Rainbow Chard curly cress Red Orach ( never tried this before) red Perilla Anaheim Peppers Garlic Chives, been wanting to get this too. and, a lettuce called azure dandelion. Can't wait to see this one grow. fenugreek and two of my favotite flowers, Calendula and Chianti sunflower. Annie these seeds are very welcome as this spring I took all my seed stash to my daughter's to help her start a first garden. When I came home I left the unplanted ones there for her to do as a fall garden and for winter sowing. Annie I thank you . This was a super swap. Love the theme and the goodies you sent. Beth
    ...See More

An Apple A Day / Fall is 5 Days Away!!

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks everyone..glad you enjoyed 'My Apples'.. Luvs..those apples in the basket and on the plate are all faux. I love them because they do look so real and actually fool everyone who sees them. Kathleen...I know, I know, I'm kicking myself for not buying more of the dishes. Besides being really nice they were so cheap. Those cute little apple candles I got at CTS, a few years ago. I bought several boxes of 'Them' though...lol Sounds like some special baking, w/apples for your little Gson. You always do such sweet things...I'm sure they love and appreciate everything. The weather is supposed to be nice..hope everyone has a great time. yachter...you are so right. I had learned that lesson once before, the hard way. I passed up a fabulous buy on a table. When I got home, I was sorry I didn't get it. So I drove all the way back..and while I was almost there, a car passed me by...with guess what?? I'm sure you guessed, the table strapped to the top of the car!! grrrrr..ya think I would have learned from that... jaybird...lololol..I seem to have really hit a nerve with everyone on not getting more of those dishes.. If I see anything, this Sat, that I feel is a 'Must Have'... I definitely won't think twice. lynn...thanks. I agree, that basket was a great deal, and the quality is really nice too. It's quite large, and sometimes I use it for magazines. Come on everyone.... I'm looking forward to seeing yours...Lynn, I know you've been challanged...so I'm waiting anxiously too!! jane
    ...See More

FOTESS Jan. 2019 “Snowed in Day” Swap

Q

Comments (200)
    Ruth , Thank you so much for the gift of he Farmer's Almanac and the lovely butterfly card! Love them both! I usually always buy one, but hadn't this year! Thrilled to get it! Card is gorgeous! Thank you!
    ...See More
  • bluee19
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Here is my "Apple of the day" - Apple Pear (Anyone try this fruit, its quite yummy, plus they don’t turn brown like your typical apple, and has a sweet flavor/crunchy texture.

• ruthz
    7 years ago

Good Morning,

Thanks for the ACV post Annie. I use it all the time.

Shirley, I mailed your Appley package today. Tracking # 9505510871286264017344.

My "apple of a day", Envy Apple with peanut butter

My favorite way to eat apples

• amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

My Apple of the Day:

CARAMEL APPLE SANGRIA RECIPE

PREP TIME

5 mins

TOTAL TIME

5 mins

Author: Amanda Finks

Recipe type: Cocktail

Serves: 10 - 11

INGREDIENTS

• 1 750 ml bottle of pinot grigio (or your favorite mild white wine)
    • 1 cup caramel flavored vodka
    • 6 cups apple cider
    • 2 medium apples, cored and chopped

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Stir the wine, vodka, and apple cider together in a large pitcher.
    2. Add the chopped apples to the pitcher, or to individual glasses.
    3. Serve the sangria over ice.

NOTES

Apple cider settles. If the sangria sits for a while, it will need to be stirred before serving.

• Robin 5b Nehls
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the recipes and info on apple cider vinegar. Who could have known apples can be so versatile. Here is another cleaning solution for bathroom scum. 1 cup vinegar 1 cup Dawn

Heat vinegar to a boil add Dawn and mix. Spray on tub and let soak overnight. The vinegar dissolves the minerals and scum. Rinse. Has to be the original Dawn, it's blue and has a baby duck. I put this mixture in a heavy duty spray bottle. I also use regular vinegar cause it's cheaper than ACV and now comes in a higher acid ratio made for cleaning.

Could I ask a favor? Can someone please send me Faye's address? Doug.nehls@gmail is mine. I am wanting to mail her package but am unsure of her Houz name.

Thanks so much,

Robin

7 years ago

Got my package yesterday from Heidi. I was spoiled (as usual). It had the most festive oven mitt and dish towel inside and she mustve been reading my mind because I just threw away two pot holders that had seen better days after I finished canning my apple butter...and who doesn't need a new dish towel?! Additionally there were many seeds and (HOW DID YOU KNOW) one of my favorite suckers ever ... the caramel apple suckers. I will post pictures later. THANKS so so so much Heidi!

Breanne

• ruthz
    7 years ago

Robin, I messaged you Faye's information. Let me know if you don't receive it.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    7 years ago

So glad you got the package, Breanne! I wanted to put in more suckers, but the envelope didn't let me. I'm glad you like them. That's funny--you throwing out your oven mitt and getting a new one. Just love it when a plan comes together and I didn't know I was part of the plan! ha

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

My "Apple a Day:"

A new study performed on mice shows that drinking apple juice could keep Alzheimer’s away and fight the effects of aging on the brain.
    Mice in the study that were fed an apple-enhanced diet showed higher
    levels of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine and did better in maze
    tests than those on a regular diet.

• amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

Cheddar and Apple Chicken Breasts

Ingredients

• 1-1/4 cups (5 oz.) Sargento® Traditional Cut Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided
    • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. mango chutney, large pieces of mango chopped, divided
    • 1/2 cup finely diced apple
    • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
    • 4 (5 to 6 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves,
    • 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, multigrain or whole wheat*
    • Paprika or smoked paprika (optional)

Directions

1. Combine 2 Tbsp. of the chutney, apple and cayenne pepper in a small bowl; mix well. Stir in 3/4 cup of the cheese.
    2. Cut a pocket in side of each chicken breast, taking care not to cut through top or bottom of chicken.* Stuff cheese mixture into chicken, pressing edges together to enclose stuffing. Place chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush remaining 1/4 cup chutney over tops of chicken breasts. Combine breadcrumbs and remaining 1/2 cup cheese; sprinkle over chicken. Sprinkle paprika lightly over chicken if desired.
    3. Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through
    7 years ago

Erica, do you happen to know where this was conducted...or where it was published? I would love to read the white paper. Thanks!

• kchd
    7 years ago

Good morning and happy hump day!

Today's bingo word is CANDY

• ruthz
    7 years ago

Good Morning.

Erica, interesting information. I wonder if fresh apples do the same thing. We don't drink much juice of any kind.

My "Apple a Day"

Hubby loves apples in salad. Roast chicken, soy beans, apples, pecans, pumpkin seeds and cranraisins.

• canyonwind
    7 years ago

Erica,

I mailed part of your Apple package yesterday...

tracking # 9500 1150 6794 6264 0590 78....I would guess delivery Thursday or Friday.

I will PM or email you shortly with the scoop on the other part.

And my Apple of the Day....

Well, I decided take an APPLEY chance and tried one of the APPLEY items I put in Ericas package. Not good.....LOL....I lost a tooth,.most of a tooth anyways. Tiz crown time!!

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

My "Apple a Day":

Emily --The article I quoted didn't list its source, but when I searched "apple juice prevents alzheimer's" I found this and this. I'm sure there's much more info out there, but I don't have time to do a more in depth search, as I'm getting ready to head into work.

As far as recent dates, I came across this from 2014 (again, I don't have time to do an in depth search, or I'm sure I could find something more recent):

A study done in 2014 found that fruit containing a compound called fisetin may prevent Alzheimer’s and protect against memory loss. Identified only ten years ago, fisetin
    has been highly praised for its ability to fight cancer and diabetes
    and is only now being hailed for its brain boosting powers.

Fruits that contain this super compound include:

• Apples
    • Mangoes
    • Kiwi
    • Peaches
    • Grapes
    • Tomatoes
    • Onions

Ruth -- I'm sure eating apples would have the same effect (but I don't know how many you would have to eat). From the second link I listed for Emily:

Before you go out and drop your money on any-old apples, however, take
    heed: not all apples are created equal. Apples are some of the most
    highly pesticide-treated fruits there are. So, purchase organic apples
    whenever possible. Don’t purchase the pasteurized juice hoping to stave
    off Alzheimer’s disease either. If you want juice, juice the apples
    yourself and only make enough to drink in a single sitting.

• sandlapper_rose
    7 years ago

With the discussion on apples possibly preventing Alzheimers, I searched "apple science" today and found all kinds of headings. Many of them were activities you could do with children so I thought that would be my apple fact of the day. Scout leader, teacher? Check it out. I used to be a Girl Scout leader and this would have been something fun to do at a fall meeting.

Poor Annie! I went to the dentist on Monday, but it was for a cleaning and check up so that was one of the better visits.

Have a good day.

Jeanne

• Robin 5b Nehls
    7 years ago

For my apple of the day I researched something completely off topic. I wondered how many songs have the word "apple" in their title. Here's what I found. One Bad Apple by the Osmond's, Apple, Peaches, Pumpkin by Jay and the techniques, Little Green Apple by OC Smith, Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White and last but not least I'll be with you in Apple Blossom Time. Thats just the Pop chart. Add more if one pops into your mind. Happy hump day to all.

• bluee19
    7 years ago

we miss u sjc48 but know u are having a blast with your daughter.

Here is my "Apple of the day"

Apple is a 5 letter medium Word starting with A and ending with E. There is a total of 22 words that can be made out of this word.

• Robin 5b Nehls
    7 years ago

Lappe is an animal and pepla is the bottom of a full blouse. Trying to score more points.

• kchd
    7 years ago

Good morning ladies! Today's bingo word is SEEDS. Shirley should be back tomorrow when she will bring you back to your regularly scheduled programming. Love all the apple trivia!

• amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

Apple of the Day!

Sekai-ichi Apple

Price: $21
    Where: Japan

Why so expensive?: Yes, $21 per apple. Translating to “the best in the world,” Sekai-ichi are washed with honey and branded by hand to ensure they’re blemish free. The orchards where they’re grown are pollinated by hand using a tiny wand—treatments not uncommon in Japan’s fruit-obsessed culture.

• amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

Jeanne, Your package is on the way! Tracking # 9505511920466266008782. Hope you enjoy!

7 years ago

Amy great apple of the day. I want to put in though that if you want to search about this apple as I did...please make sure to type in "sekai-ichi AND apple" I only typed the former the first time around and the search brought up some interesting Japanese phallic cartoon images. LOL I cannot believe what some people will spend on fruit (and I love fruit).

• bluee19
    7 years ago

kchd ~ That was funny what you said, "she will bring you back to your regularly scheduled programming."

Here is my "Apple of the day" - JOKE

What type of a computer does a horse like to eat?

A Macintosh

• canyonwind
    7 years ago

Thanks Katie for filling in for Shirley!!

Amy, very, very interesting "Apple of the Day".......I believe the Japanese when they say this apple is washed with honey and branded by hand and hand pollinated with a tiny wand in the orchards where the Sekai-ichi Apples are grown, hence the best in the world....... I must say, if I heard this same thing on an apple, orange ect in the U.S. with an ouchy price tag, I would say liar(s)....SAD!

And my "Apple of the Day"...Bragg's ACV and the "Mother"

Organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (like Bragg’s) also contains “mother,” strands of
    proteins, enzymes and friendly bacteria that give the product a murky, cobweb-like appearance.
    Some people believe that the “mother” is responsible for most of the health benefits, although there are currently no studies to support this.

Happy Thursday!

Annie

• canyonwind
    7 years ago

I just found Shirley's (sjc) Package on the front porch........love it!

Shirley sent me.....

*a jar of Apple Butter

*an apple red dish towel

*a oven mitt with apples on it

*a lovely note

*seeds.....Cinnamon Basil, Red Ace Beets, Cardinal Lobelia, Silene Regia, Red Texas Hummingbird Sage.....great selection....lots of RED!

Thank you so much Shirley!!! A perfect "Apple" box!!

Annie

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    7 years ago

Sounds like a great package to arrive in the mail.

My apple of the day. We have an ornamental apple of some kind. It blooms pink the spring and have red foliage all year. My daughter likes to think it's her own Japanese blooming tree! Nothing will eat these ornamental fruits--even if they were washed in honey and hand-pollinated. Tiny, sour and dropping to the ground like mushy raindrops. ha Heidi

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

My "Apple of the Day:"

Apples contain malic acid, a chemical used in teeth whitening products, which helps dissolve stains.

• bluee19
    7 years ago

I msg Smitties that her swap will arrive on 9/29. Also mailed her card out today. Hope you will be surprised and hope you will enjoy!!

• sandlapper_rose
    7 years ago

My Apple of the Day. Erica's post about whitening products led me to look at "apples in cosmetics". Without posting the brand name, here's one I found:

A
    patented bioengineered growth hormone for firming the skin is derived
    from the stem cells of a “rare” Uttweiler Spatlauber apple that
    grows only in Switzerland (there are only three trees left in
    existence in a rural part of Switzerland; luckily the lab doesn’t
    need the actual apple to produce the stem cells, the company can
    create them). This apple lasts about four months before browning, and
    its stem cells supposedly slow down the aging process.

Retail
    price: $250 for 2 oz.

Jeanne

• bluee19
    7 years ago

Happy Thursday and thank you sjc48 for the lovely card you made. It's so rare for me to get greeting cards and I appreciate the thoughtfulness!!

• amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

Shirley, Thank you for the beautiful Autumn card! I love it and have it displayed in my dining room. You do awesome work!

• smitties
    7 years ago

Thank you Shirley for my autumn card. Very thoughtful of you. Hope you're having a fun trip. Margo

• amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

Apple of the day:

Soak up salt – If you have inadvertently made your soup or stew too salty, then boil it with some apple wedges for 10 minutes. The apple will soak up the excess salt.

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

Amy -- That is a cool tip about apples! I'm going to have to try to remember that one.

Annie -- I received part of your pack yesterday. Haven't opened it yet. Waiting for the other part to arrive.

Shirley -- Received your beautiful fall card yesterday. Thank you!

• ruthz
    7 years ago

Good Morning

Shirley, thank you for the beautiful Fall card.

Amy, I've heard to use potatoes if you've gotten soup too salty, but not apples. Interesting.

• sandlapper_rose
    7 years ago

Shirley, I received your beautiful card yesterday. It amazes me when a card arrives on exactly on the right day! How do you coordinate that with the post office? LOL

Thank you.

Jeanne

• Robin 5b Nehls
    7 years ago

Thanks for the beautiful fall card Shirley. I too was surprised and just in time for the cooler weather.

• ruthz
    7 years ago

Got my Awesome Apple package from Shirley today. Love it. Thank you so much.

Lots of Appley stuff, red stuff and some yellow and green with a pretty fall card.

Seeds; Red Hot Returns daylily, Big Yellow calla, yellow canna, Super Sioux tomato and red canna rhizomes .

• bluee19
    7 years ago

TGIF 2 everyone. Another week has gone by and almost the end of September, wow, time surely flies!!

My "Apple of the Day" - I was watching Ellen on NBC yesterday and she was talking about apples. She said there were 7500 varieties of apples grown. Too bad the supermarkets don't sell these types. I sure would like to try them.

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

My "Apple a Day:"

There is growing evidence suggesting that an apple a day may help prevent breast cancer, according to a series of studies conducted by prominent Cornell researcher Rui Hai Liu.

Liu said her research adds to "the growing evidence that increased
    consumption of fruits and vegetables, including apples, would provide
    consumers with more phenolics, which are proving to have important
    health benefits. I would encourage consumers to eat more and a wide
    variety of fruits and vegetables daily."

• sjc48
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey, Everyone, I'm BAAAAACK!! Just got in, will try to post more later, if not then first thing in the morning, but I already know this much: Everyone who posted since my last post is awarded 5 points - You all did a GREAT job of keeping the swap going and I can hardly wait to read all those "Apples of the Days" Good job, ladies!

I gotta eat.

Shirley!

• brittneysgran
    7 years ago

Shirley is Back, Thank you for the Fall Card. I truly love the Fall Season.

I received my wonderful box from Ruth and loved it all. Thank you Ruth.

I can't post a picture because my cell phone decided not to send it to my e-mail.

I will try to send it to my work e-mail and see if that works.

I received:

Apple Pie Spice/Yum

Apple Card

Apple paper weight

Caramel Dip for Apples

Pineapple Tomato seeds

Apple Bottle Stopper

Caramel Apple Pound Cake recipe/Pound Cakes are my favorite

Gynura Mango Salad Recipe

Spinach plant

Shirley

• sjc48
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Okay, I feel much better now!

I had a great time with Tabitha and Myrna, more about that later. And the trip home thro Toledo went well, mainly because I bypassed Toledo all together and took the long way home. Anything to save stress and anxiety!

I have only done a cursory look thro the posts, but want to address lots of them at some point before the month is over. So much interesting apple stuff!

Ladies, you can take a break from posting "Apples of the Day" if you'd like, until Monday! Happy Weekend!

Katie, thank you so much for posting the Bingo words for me, very much appreciate it!

Margo, I got your email, glad you enjoyed the card!

Jeanne, I don't know how that happened, the card arriving on the first day of Autumn. I mailed them all on Monday, as I was leaving. Glad you all enjoyed them! I had a great time creating them!

Annie, did I forget to put the applebutter recipes in your package? Glad you liked it, but the applebutter was to be used with the recipes. Drat. Let me know.

I totaled up the points from the bingo words for the past 3 days and here's what we ended up with: The Crisps garnered 7 points and the Macs got two.

I'll post a points update tomorrow afternoon, along with the list of who sent and who received, and all the rest of the catching up!

And last, but definitely not the least - Erica, where did you find that book? It was perfect!

Ladies, I opened my package from Erica tonight, and she sent me a recipe book called, can you believe this, "An Apple A Day"! Unbelievable! It has 365 recipes, enough for a whole year. Erica, you nailed it with this! Good job!

She also sent a nice Appley note and 3 packs of seeds, one tithonia and two lantanas. Thank you, Thank you!

I'm heading for bed, talk to ya all tomorrow!

Shirley!

• canyonwind
    7 years ago

Shirley, I found the Apple Butter recipes while cooking din-din last night....Apple Butter Snickerdoodles and Apple Butter Bread inside the oven mitt....Thank you very much.

And lovely mail from Shirley yesterday....thank you for the Autumn Blessings card.....Love and Peace to you too! I love and appreciate your cards and thoughts so much!

Happy Saturday!

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm glad you found them, Annie, and glad the card made it's way to you!

Ladies, PLEASE POST ON THE NEW THREAD!!

Grocery shopping today, back later!

Shirley!

7 years ago
    got a lovely fall card from Shirley, exactly on the equinox...amazing. I almost never get cards, and I surely needed this one. Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness and for ushering in my favorite season.
  • Robin 5b Nehls
    7 years ago

Faye your package should arrive today or tomorrow 9500 1140 9601 6266 0374 13

• sandlapper_rose
    7 years ago

Shirley, thank you for the lovely prize. I received an apple red dish towel (can always use those), recipe cards, a cute note card that Shirley made with a stamped design, and packets of apple cider mix. Yum! I love the apple theme to the prizes.

Thanks so much, Shirley!

Jeanne