SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie

Fundoplacation surgery?

phoggie
7 years ago

For more than 10 years I have had Barrett's Esophagus and noting seems to help any more. My doctor has suggested that perhaps it is time to do Fundoplaction. Has any one had this done?.....full or partial?....can you still burp or vomit?....what was your experience with it?....recuperation time?...complications? I am just trying to gather information from some one who has had it done. Thanks for your help.

Comments (15)

• Bluebell66
    7 years ago

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I am checked every few years for Barrett's due to acid reflux. I haven't had this surgery but a friend did. He can no longer vomit, but I can't remember if he can burp. His experience was positive overall. Recovery wasn't terrible and he had no complications. Acid no longer comes up his esophagus, and it's been about 10 years now.

Before you have the surgery, you might want a second opinion if you haven't already gotten one. I would also revisit your diet, if you haven't done so. I do a lot of reading on this subject and I see over and over again that people who eliminate wheat tend to have good results.

phoggie thanked Bluebell66
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I had "silent" reflux ...10 years ago, had a scan for something else and had full blown Barrett's! I take 40 mg Nexium 2xda, 2 Zantac, 2 Prilosec, and 3 Domparidone a day and still burn after eating most anything! My daughter suggested a gluten-free diet, but Doctor did not think there was any connection. I need to get to a health food store and get some gluten-free bread, since bread is something that I can eat...and plain potatoes and we all know what they do!...and I need to lose weight anyway.

• nannygoat18
    7 years ago

I have acid reflux and have made lots of dietary modifications but have not attempted gluten free.

My doctor does this surgery and says it's highly successful and eliminates the need for medications (which have serious side effects). There are potential residuals which should be discussed though.

"Nutrition Facts" website offers these suggestions--however, if you done these, it may be worth soliciting a second opinion.

For those with acid reflux (“heartburn”), before considering proton pump inhibitor drugs I ask my patients to first try decreasing their consumption of dietary components thought to contribute to reflux by decreasing the pressure of the lower esophageal sphincter and increasing the number of relaxations of this sphincter, including fat, chocolate, peppermint, onions, and coffee. Obesity, overeating, and straining associated with constipation may also compromise the sphincter’s ability to keep the acid where it belongs in the stomach. Finally, drinking lots of water throughout the day will help keep things going in the right direction, and at night, raising the head of your bed by four to six inches by placing bricks or wood blocks under the head posts can employ gravity to help keep the acid from creeping up.

phoggie thanked nannygoat18
  • Bluebell66
    7 years ago

Phoggie, that is what I have, silent reflux, along with a hiatal hernia and weak lower esophageal sphincter....all contributing to the acid coming up. My only symptom is a cough at times. I have eliminated many of the foods nannygoat listed, and I don't eat much in the way of wheat products or gluten free foods. Lots of veggies, some meats, some beans and that's about it. Right or wrong, I don't take reflux meds, preferring instead to take my chances.

phoggie thanked Bluebell66
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nanny goat....oh my...I already have such burning in my mouth and tongue almost immediately when I eat relaxing foods, I would hate to try to eat more of them!....is there a reason that increasing them is supposed to help?

bluebell, I also have a cough, especially when I lay down at night. My bed is on blocks and I sit upright 2-3 hours before bed time....I drink almond milk....is that considered a dairy product?

I have taken PPIs for so long and when the study came out linking them with dementia, it really scared me but Doctor doesn't agree with it...but they are rather new and it will take a lot of years to really know if they cause it or not.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

I've had some intermittent acid reflux problems which definitely happens as a result of things I ingest. Iuproben was the first culprit.

Anti acids have been implicated in the problem. Be sure to read up on that too.

phoggie thanked Vertise
  • Vertise
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I was supposed to take Prevacid but did not. I did take a little OTC for relief until I got over the episode but knew what was causing problems and eliminated that. I would exhaust all the dietary (and other) possibilities before undergoing surgery. That operation sounds rather drastic. I'd be most afraid of further complications down the road.

ACV gets a lot of good press for various things. That is good to know and in line with things I have read.

phoggie thanked Vertise
  • nannygoat18
    7 years ago

Phoggie, you may be misinterpreting the advice--those foods listed are to be AVOIDED. Like Bluebelle, you can try increasing your fruits/veggies, whole grains and limit your food ingredient (choosing those with just one ingredient is preferred, such as eggs, chicken, broccoil etc) as opposed to processed foods.

And no, almond milk is not considered a dairy product (in fact, it should be labelled as almond "beverage"). Unless you make it yourself, it's highly processed and devoid of any nutrients. If you check the label, you will see that the primary ingredient is water with less than 1% almonds with added sugar and chemicals.

phoggie thanked nannygoat18
  • phoggie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Raven, I do have some ACV and will give it a try....1 cup water and 1T or 1t of vinegar?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Tablespoons, I use Heinz with the mother or Braggs with the mother. I actually use about half a cup of water but to start out you may want to go with a cup. Just don't drink it straight. Sometimes I aadd flavored vinegars to my water bottle I like the pomegranate, raspberry, and pear. I add a little bit to my dogs water bowl too. I love vinegar so this was easy for me. I grew up with vinegar always on the table. Daddy loved it. I add vinegar to my boiled potatoes, boiled eggs, boiled crawfish, lots of vegetables. It helps my blood sugar levels, if I test high, I immediately take vinegar and within 15 minutes it's dropped significantly. I know several people who have had the same results. I have tried taking the ACV pills but not the same results.

• norar_il
    7 years ago

I have a question about the "mother". Do you shake up the vinegar to make sure you get some of the mother, or just pour from the top?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Shaking it up really good.

• norar_il
    7 years ago

Thank you. I've been on the ppi for years and sometimes have breakthrough acid. Man, but it hurts. A gastroenterologist told me that people who didn't have excellent response to the ppi usually didn't have very good luck with the surgery either. I really want off the drug -- my magnesium level is way too low and I can't seem to take enough to overcome the effect of the ppi.