SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gjjones28

General questions from a new garden owner

7 years ago

I'm overwhelmed with my flowers at times being new to gardening and trying to get it right - mainly how to control growth and when and how to cut back

1. I apologize for not knowing the name, but the bush against the garage with the pink flowers and in front of the house, it seems to have gotten quite wide. Is that something I just trim as needed to control its spread? Best if done in the spring? Again, I'm shocked at home big these plants have grown

2. The pictures don't show it, but the owners before invested a lot of money into the landscaping. The black garden cloth is not rolling up under the mulch and falling apart, weeds are coming through all over the place suggestions? My gut says take it up but we have .75 acres of property with a good portion landscaped is there a way to weed control without putting that stuff back down? Will heavy mulching work? Weed killer turning the weeds brown and my beds dirty looking. I liked putting annuals in around the perennials but had to cut holds in the cloth which seems to defeat its purpose ?

3. Perhaps you see the hens and chicks? One to my surprise shot up about 6 inches , bloomed and then collapsed now what? Lol will that stem fall off? Do I break it off? I'm perplexed

I appreciate all feedback this spring I was panicked with each cut of the shears that I was hacking up things I wasn't supposed to. People told me clean up in spring to protect plants from harsh snow, other said clean up in fall so insects don't bed down in the dead leaves. Everyone agreed if I was able to kill a hosta I had a real issue. Lol

Comments (7)