SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_burton98

Leylandi

Amanda Burton
7 years ago

Hi we have inherited a Leylandi hedge which got overgrown on one side so is very wide. The other side was trimmed regularly because it is next to a footpath. It provides privacy, we have the height under control now and I do like having a hedge rather than fence for cutting out the wind and for wildlife and greenery. However the width is very annoying, as well as not being straight it is up to 2metres from the trunk at times. We are thinking about cutting the overgrown side back to the trunks leaving the privacy from the greenery on the other side, and then growing climbers up. I'm not bothered about it looking ugly for a few years but do you think we would be able to cover it nicely eventually? It's north facing which is not ideal and my hubby is not keen on ivy. I was thinking if honeysuckle, clematis,.. The only othe solutions seem to be dig it up, replace with fence costing thousands and then have the fence blown down because it is a windy spot - or just give up and resign two 2m+ edges of our long thin garden (160' by 50') to the Leylandi! We have to decide soon because we are going to do the garden nicely and we need to centre our nice oval of grass in the middle! Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Comment (1)