SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

help me decide on tile for shower niches--eleventh hour!

purrus
7 years ago

Cross-posted from bathrooms form, sorry.

11th hour question: tile guy is doing the niches tomorrow. The layout is done, hardibacker or whatever it's called is up. The wall next to it is done. The problem is that I 've been convinced until this afternoon that I just wanted the regular shower tile on the inside of the niches until this afternoon.

The regular shower tile is plain white glossy 4x8 subway tile. But I have three niches, stacked in a row: 12x12, then 12x6, then 12x12. The 4x8 is going to look funny inside the 12x6 niche, or at least the way my contractor described it today, it will---it's just too big.

So, now I'm thinking at the 11th hour.

My floor tiles are 2x2 flossy white hex tile. Should I see if the Tile Shop has a few sheets of those and get those put inside the niches instead? I don't mind that idea at all and in fact it's kind of a nice thought. I just had convinced myself until now that I'd eschew accent tile inside the niches since I read a comment on here that accent tile was for the birds because they are covered up by Costco sized soap bottles and the like, and that really spoke to me. :) But my floor tile is cheap, and this would be a way of tying it all together.

But would this mess with my vintage/slightly industrial/modern vibe? Or would that still hold?

For a visual, here's a mockup of my floor tile, and a pic of it with regular old 3x6 subway tile.

Am I thinking straight? does this make sense? I'm also concerned because the 4x8 wall tile looked HUGE compared to the 2x2 hex already on my floor today, which kind of freaked me out.

Comments (5)