SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prox2047

Is this crown rot?

Prox
7 years ago

A few days ago I was looking over one of my potted hostas and noticed a mark on the plant right at the soil line. Pushing the soil back I saw a small brown patch right above the roots. Out of both concern and curiosity, I quickly grabbed a small knife and poked it gently. It was very soft and punctured easily. I ended up cutting out most of the brown part and let it be for the night. The next day I got it out of the pot and noticed a second smaller mark on the other side of the crown. I cut away some of that and rinsed all the soil off and soaked it for 30 min in 10% bleach. I was surprised at how great the roots looked. After that repotted in new soil and watered. I want to mention that this was a Hosta I recently got from hollisons nursery and when I potted it I put the crown a little higher than it had been at the nursery to avoid this kind of thing. Nailed it. Also I have yet to see any webbing or fungus balls anywhere on the plant/soil. The pics enclosed are two different areas after the bleach bath and cutting. Is this indeed crown rot? Soft rot? Cancer?!

Hostacles · More Info

Hostacles · More Info

Comments (13)