Ebay grommets? Geriatric Fridge security bag.

jally

Seeking a practical solution. The special food I need to feed my dad keeps getting stolen from the hospital fridge, perhaps by the janitor, or whoever.

The point is - where to find grommets which are already sewn onto a strip, and not too widely spaced-apart, so I can sew a security bag? I can then loop a chain thru the grommets, and secure it to the interior of fridge with padlock.

To anyone concerned re: regulations, yes, I'd obtain permission first.

I will now seek a sewing forum on houzz to also pose this question.

I've not just been researching this, but also the merits of Neurontin vs. Ativan (which the doctor put him on due to severe agitation trying to pull out his Lasix IV and insisting on using commode vs. bedpan.)

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

If your father is in the hospital why are you bringing him special food that he needs to eat? Does his doctors know that you are doing this? Depending on the food it may be an additional reason for the Lasix. I know that you want the best for your father but anything chained to a frig would be the first thing a hospital would have removed. Think bomb even if labeled it was not. If cleared by the doctors bring it fresh every day in a cooler with ice or other coolant.

Save    
CA Kate z9

I agree with mailfleur. If this is something he MUST have then it should be kept in refrigerator at the supervised nursing station. It sounds as if you need help from the nurses.

Save    
bpath

And even if you still need that, here is what we got for travel: KYSS securable, lockable bag

The bag comes in 3 sizes, different colors, and you can have your dad's name embroidered on it if you like. This one is pretty girly, but you can also get a flag, or just a name or initials, or "Keep Out!"

Save    
maifleur01

How thin was the bag you selected. Several of them look thick and perhaps the insulation would keep the food warm. Before I retired several people would put their insulated bags in the area frig then complain that the frig did not keep their food cold.

Save    
bpath

You could also try a personal mini-fridge. They are popular with people who need to keep their medications cold at work or school. I don't think it's lockable, though, and even the fridge itself could "walk off".

Save    
S Rodriguez

You can buy an inexpensive grommet kit. Each grommet is two pieces that you place where you want it. Then you use a hammer to create the one piece grommet. See if there is a YouTube video. Should be at a hardware store Or you could sew a bag with heavy string that you could pull and tie shut. Then chain to the fridge.

Save    
jally

I see. I find all your suggestions interesting, as well as one I saw on the sewing section suggesting eyelet tape. Thanks! The food was yogurt mixed with cherry concentrate, very very healing to both kidneys and pneumonia. The staff were very negligent in leaving him for a long time both in the A.C. cat-scan room, as well as the A.C. hallway afterward, without immediate transport. When I begged for a blanket, the giant took his blessed time producing yet another THIN quilt. My dad whispered to me that he was pulling up the "blanket" to cover his nose in an attempt to warm his body.

These insane places are from the Dark Ages! So if you can believe this, I took the initiative, and got my dad's aide to grab one side while I grabbed the other, to wheel his heavy bed around the corner of the hallway where it was much warmer. Then to boot, when the tardy transport guy finally arrived, he put my dad thru an I.D. questionnaire to ensure it really was him. Cookoo!

Sigh..by now he is back at the nursing home he was in previously, and at least there they have a personal fridge.These past years & months have been thoroughly draining. While I do appreciate the suggestions, I too had thought the cute pink bag would be too insulated & outside my budget, and I wouldn't have been able to lug even a tiny fridge to hospital, as I'm a weak shrimp & had plenty other stuff to lug there. I actually thought the eyelet tape might have been a solution, though wasn't sure my plastic chain could fit thru. http://www.richelieu.com/documents/docsPr/39/31/5W/BK/39315WBK/1359407_700.jpg

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decluttering 9 Exit Strategies for Your Clutter
How to efficiently — and regularly — rid your home of the things you don’t want
Full Story
Most Popular The 15 Most Popular Kitchen Storage Ideas on Houzz
Solve common kitchen dilemmas in style with custom and ready-made organizers, drawers, shelves and more
Full Story
Organizing Organizing Secrets: It’s the Little Things
Get these 8 small areas under control for a major boost in overall tidiness at home
Full Story