SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
owlnsr

Owlnsr's 2016 TTTF Renovation

owlnsr
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'll be posting on this thread to track the progress of a TTTF total renovation.

Prior to my decision to renovate,, my lawn was a mixture of (a) unknown cultivars of coarse grasses from the previous homeowner, (b) big box store KBG and TTTF that I over seeded with last fall as a temporary way to thicken the lawn.

Here is the lawn in May: (the before photos)

On July 28th, I applied RoundUp. Then it rained like mad. After consulting with RoundUp, I performed a second treatment on July 29th and went on vacation.

On August 10th, I came home to this lovely, crisp and dead lawn:

The photo above was taken on August 10th right before I scalped the lawn down to 0.75 inches. Next, I made some tweaks to my irrigation system and set about watering frequently and lightly (daily, 5 minutes every 6 hours per zone) to encourage weed growth. Thus began my daily hunt for weeds.

On August 19th, I surveyed the yard a final time for any signs of weed activity. Without so much as a single weed having sprouted, I decided it was time to risk it.

In August 20th, I performed a core aeration. Several passes were made in different directions. I also brought in 2 cubic yards of a soil/compost mix to addresses a safety issue near my driveway. (About a 1 foot drop off from the driveway to the ground... "Ankle breaker"). I also wanted to addresses some uneven areas and low spots near the sidewalk.

After spreading out the top soil/compost mix, I broadcasted the TTTF seed I selected. I then walked the entire yard, pushing the back end of a metal take down to help cover the seed / create better soil contact. This seemed to also break up the plugs into smaller pieces. Afterwards, I broadcasted 3 Jonathan Green products: Mag-I-Cal, Love Your Lawn - Love Your Soil, and New Seedling Lawn Fertilizer.

The fescue I used was a certified blend of Mountain View Seed mixed by Turf & Garden and sold under the name Southern Belle.

I bought two 20lb bags, and spread 1 full bag and about 2/3 of the other bag. That's about 33-35 lbs of TTTF spread across approximately 4500-5000 square feet.

- 34.74% Raptor III

- 34.69% Titanium LS

- 29.95% Firecracker SLS

Currently, I've set the irrigation system to start watering every day at 5:00am; each zone waters for 5 minutes. This process repeats every 4 hours (unfortunately, this also means that the system is running at night).

....( house )..x5...........

.x1a..........x3..........x2a...

.............(tree).................

.x1b..........x4..........x2b...

X1, x2, x3, and x4 are all in-ground Rainbird 42sa rotors. They cover the front yard. X5 is an orbit hose-end sprinkler that covers the side yard and part of the front (near x2a and x3)

Once germination occurs, I plan on reducing the water frequency from 5 minutes every 4 hours to 10 minutes every 6 for a 3-4 days. Then, 15 minutes every 12 hours for 3-4 days after that. Then once a day for 30 minutes until until it's finally time for the first cut.

Any feedback on this renovation is welcome...particularly in the watering schedule I've outlined above.

Comments (86)