SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Rose Comments from a Hot Southern California Garden

I've been studying the roses I still have left in regard to how well they're holding up under high temperatures with lots of radiating heat from hardscape and giant boulders. I don't have a huge number of roses left but thought my comments would be of some use to those of you in similar climates. I should mention that these roses receive abundant water, and I'm quite sure that most of them would not be here were it not for that. All of them are now on drip watering but I supplement that with some overhead watering with a hose to "freshen" them and some of them also have sprinklers. I now water every day or every second day, and I know this is not something all of you are able to do.

Wild Edric - may no longer be available here, and of the original four I have two left. The one in complete afternoon shade is continually producing new buds even in the heat, but the fragrant blooms don't last well at all when temperatures are high.

Charles Darwin - not a rose for me, although I have two, since in the heat the blooms fry in less than a day.

Potter and Moore - rarely available, this old rose is still putting out beautiful blooms in the heat, and they last much longer than Charles Darwin. A much underrated rose in my opinion, but then I love the luscious, many-petaled pink roses.

Love Song - sturdy leaves and flowers and I love it, and the blooms last well even in the heat. Mine is own-root and is taking forever to grow. This one might be better grafted but may well turn out to be one of my favorites.

SdlM - was not doing so well during the last year until I discovered that under its mulch it was pretty well bone dry. Now it's again blooming through the heat, with new buds popping up all the time, and the color even in this heat a lovely pink.

Deanna Krause - a rose from the ARE which seems unfazed by the afternoon heat to which it's being subjected. The five-petaled blooms don't seems to fry in the heat and it's growing nicely now that I'm watering it more. This could be a real winner for hot climates for those who appreciate its five pink and white striped petals.

Maggie - a young rose like Deanna Krause and its neighbor in the hot afternoon sun, it has one long skinny cane and some short growth near the base, but it also seems to tolerate the heat well. I've pinched off the few blooms it's had so can't comment on their performance.

The Faun - a fast-growing new rose that likes to spread rather than grow upright at this point, with lots of bloom even in the heat and growing next to concrete. I'm sure the blooms will be much more beautiful in cooler seasons but even now it's a pretty little thing.

Blush Noisette - it gets only morning sun and may never bloom as much as it would with more sun, but it's not a rose I'm really fond of because the blooms have such a short life. It is a graceful rose with pretty, small leaves and no disease.

Mme. Antoine Mari - not a rose I would grow again because the leaves and flowers don't like the dry heat here. It stays since it's a youngster and may improve with age.

Baronne Henriette de Snoy - same as the rose above but somewhat worse. Time will tell.

Mme. Lambard - growing nicely and may become a favorite rose when it's older.

Rose Rosette - took a long time to develop as an own-root but the flowers and leaves stand up well to the heat.

Carding Mill - do not ever buy this as an own-root. Growing at a truly glacial pace while a former grafted plant took off like a rocket. Has taken Zen-like patience not to rip out its tiny little body in frustration many times.

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert