SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josue_diaz75

A couple of my palms - zone 9b Fresno, CA

Hi, I don't post here often, but I do check in from time to time to read what you all post. I've been interested in palms and cycads for several years. I had a nice collection of common palms at my old place, and have had the chance to start with a clean slate at a new house we moved into three years ago. I though I'd share some pictures of what I have growing, given that I was in a picture-taking mood yesterday afternoon and the haziness from all the fires around us made for good afternoon lighting. Hope you enjoy!

Wodyetia burificata - 1 year in ground. This is probably my most marginal palm. It won't survive long term, but this south-facing wall gives it the best chance at short-term survival.

Chambeyronia macrocarpa - 3 year old from seed. It had it's first split leaf this year and seems to be picking up speed. So far, it's had two new leaves this year - the latest frond looks like adult foliage with the large segments along the petiole. These last two leaves also showed the first hints of red on this tree. I have it growing under a magnolia tree which gives it morning sun only and some filtered sun in the afternoon.

Phoenix reclinata - Planted this one out last year. It took a while to acclimate to full sun but seems to be doing ok now.

Phoenix rupicola - This is 1 of three I have. The others are smaller though. This one has been in the ground about 3 years and is picking up a lot of speed. It's quickly becoming my favorite palm.

Allagoptera arenaria - also a slow palm for me, but looking great in shade.

Parajuabea toralyii - I think. I'm can't remember if this was toralyii or cocoides... Maybe someone could tell from the picture, or perhaps it's too young to tell the difference.

As always, I am always growing new seedlings. I have a batch of beccariophoenix alfredii that have started germinating as well as some jubaeopsis caffra. Just yesterday I picked up about a hundred jubaea chilensis seeds from a fruiting adult at a park near my home. I have no space for them at my place, but there's something really addicting about growing palms that I'm sure many of you will relate to.

Comments (13)