SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lcc_bwh

Grassy weed: couchgrass, creeping bentgrass, something else?

lcc_bwh
7 years ago

Zone 6b Kansas.

We had actual creeping bentgrass (and not nimblewill) that had come over from a nearby golf course. Hated it. Bought Tenacity at $60+ per small bottle(!). The Tenacity worked moderately well, but never completely eliminated the problem so I got used to spraying once or twice a summer for the past 4 years or so.

So, this year when I saw the first signs (slightly different color, spreading by stolons) I sprayed the entire yard hoping to kill it all at once.

Didn't happen. It was toward the top end of the temperature limits for Tenacity (85-90 degrees). Everything got the white tips that Tenacity always results in. In prior years the tall fescue recovers in two or three weeks and the creeping bentgrass would not.

This year, however, this stuff, whatever it is, recovered MUCH faster than the fescue and took off in a couple of areas. I sprayed a sample spot again with Tenacity which had little to no effect.

My best guess is couchgrass, but I'm not 100%. I'm going to take a sample to the local extension agent, but would appreciate any thoughts here, also.

Comments (10)