SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
koryan00

Advice on restoration of wood siding that was hidden under aluminum

Kelly Thomas
7 years ago

Hello, I am looking for feedback from folks who have removed their aluminum or vinyl siding and restored the orginal wood siding on thier own! My husband and I are newlyweds living in our first home, it was built in 1928, is one story and had horrible aluminum siding and fake plastic shutters! We recently pulled most all the siding off ourselves, it wasn't too bad! We need to replace some of the wood siding, but for the most part its in great condition, we sanded the front already and I think with some paint it'll look great!

I have a question for you all who have done this already, would you reccomend finishing one side at a time or doing the entire house in steps. (By in steps I mean, remove all siding, replace siding on all sides, sand all sides, prime and paint all sides) or would you say this is more of what my personal preference is?

As for the scaffolding would you say the purchase was well worth it or do you think renting scaffolding would be a good option? Obviously I would have to rent it multiple tines, but I Iive very near an equipment rental shop. What made you decide to buy or decide on renting the scaffolding?

Any feedback back from those who have done this on thier own or at least mostly would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (8)