SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazy4shabbychic

Help! I may have ruined my sofa slipcovers!

Amanda Mathis
7 years ago

I bought a sofa a while back that is very similar to the Ikea Ektorp. I purchased my sofa at a wholesale type store, so I have no way of ordering replacement covers. They are a canvas type fabric and a light cream color. I love them so much and have had no problems until now. The only other time I've washed them, I took them to a laundromat to use the big washers and I had no problems, they washed beautifully. But this time...I noticed they had started to look a little dingy, and when I turned one of them over, I noticed that one of my kids had obviously spilled something chocolate on it and had flipped the cushion over in an attempt to hide it, so I have no idea how long it was sitting there. I also came across what appeared to be some popsicle stains that were on the flipped over side as well. I looked up some ideas on stain removal and went to work with my peroxide, baking soda, and dawn dish soap. I let it soak a while and then put them seat covers in the wash....and they came out looking awful! There are weird dark 'streaks' all over them and the one I worked on the hardest to get the chocolate out looks like it has been bleached in some spots. My question is...is there anyway I can fix this, or have I just permanently ruined my favorite sofa? I am willing to take it to a dry cleaners if anyone thinks that might help or if any other fabric experts have any suggestions, I would be so very grateful to hear them.

Comment (1)