SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rocwire

Discovering wood floors under linoleum. 1920's building.

K K
7 years ago

I ripped up the linoleum in my kitchen. At first I did not think there was anything underneath it. Turns out there was matching oak hardwood floors, just under a full coat of green glue. With a heat gun and scraper and lots of time I got all the glue off. I would like the kitchen floors to match the other rooms. The other rooms are finished in shellac. Any advice on why parts of the kitchen floor are darker? I want to do the work myself and not have to bother the landlord. My first guess would be to try and rub them down with alcohol and see how light they go. If as light as the rest then I could mix up shellac to match and re-coat them.

For the rest of the kitchen I would get rid of the linoleum as well. I can't really see what is underneath it. The building is from the 1920s. I'd like to put something natural so cork seems like the easiest choice for a mildly skilled DIY job. Hoping to avoid vinyl etc.

Entryway showing the color mismatch.

Outer part of kitchen showing the floors, lots of discoloration around the radiator.

Close up of the flooring. Reading around I think they are quarter sawn red oak, coating is shellac as it comes off with alcohol.

Here is the transition to the inner kitchen. I don't know what this is.

Shot of the linoleum that I want to replace as well.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus