SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nativeplanter_gw

Dishwasher advice

nativeplanter
7 years ago

Hoping the collective expertise here can help us. We are becoming overwhelmed trying to shop for a new dishwasher. Our current washer is an approximately 8-year old Whirlpool, and the control panel has gone bad. (The home warranty people tried to replace it with a refurbished, discontinued Maytag, that we could not see in person. We said "No thanks" and took the payout instead.)

We are not looking for something super fancy. We mostly want something that won't break down and cleans the dishes. We don't need sleek, nor stainless steel fronts (actually prefer white). They guy at Lowes recommends a stainless steel tub to help with drying.

We are looking at the Maytag MDB8959SFH because it seems a little sturdier than the other Maytag we looked at (MDB4949SDH), which the guy at Lowe's owns and likes. (But I like the silverwear rack of that one better.) The Maytag seems like it might fit our plates better than the current version of our Whirlpool.

I'm worried about a couple things - the location of the vent (We don't see one on the front, and the guy at Lowes seems to think it vents into the cabinets, which seems like a very bad idea in humid southeast Virginia; it also recommends some sort of optional moisture barrier for the counter that makes me wonder if it is a problem). The second thing is that I read somewhere that there was some sort of class action suit (in CA?) against Maytag regarding the control panels frying out from moisture. Oh - also worried we won't be able to see the controls under the countertop?

(I know Consumer Reports says Bosch is the most reliable, and they have an affordable option but I see so many complaints about American dishes not fitting that we don't want to go that route.)

So we've become paralyzed, analyzing things to death. Hopefully someone here might be able to set us straight regarding these concerns?

Comments (7)