SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homeowner135

Where should I plant trees in my backyard?

Home Owner
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

All,

Having a really hard time deciding what to do with my backyard. I want to plant a couple of shade and ornamental trees but I'm not sure where they should go. I'm including a few pictures below.

As you can see, when we bought the house, there were two shrubs and an evergreen tree planted along the back lot line.

We're in Zone 4.

My goals are to spruce up the yard a bit and to provide some shade during the summer. We'd probably go with some deciduous trees, maybe lindens or maples. The soil is honestly terrible and full of clay so we'd need something that tolerates it. We have a linden in the front yard that we planted this spring and it seems to be doing well.

The biggest challenge isn't what to plant, but where. Is there a certain place, design-wise, that would look the best? I'd like to get a couple of shade trees in first then maybe think about a couple of ornamental trees or shrubs.

If you have any suggestions on where to plant shade trees on this lot, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

This is my backyard. This picture was taken facing north. (small strip of grass is available along the west side of the house).
Here's the far corner of the house taken from the east side, facing north.

Another angle. Taken from the east side of the house facing south.

Here is a drawing of my lot.

Comments (2)