SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

Looking for THIS Orbea/Huernia. Anyone? Orbea Varigata???

PoohBearLvr
7 years ago

Hi. I am searching for THIS specific Orbea or Huernia. It is a variety of the 'Orbea Variegate'....I HAD a nice plant of it, until this HOT summer hit me here in south Fla. and the rain hit it to much and rotted it to nothing. It rots FAST.

I got some great stems from a lovely lady on here about a year and a half ago, but I lost her name and number, so I cant beg her for more. I saw a single cutting on eBay and you would think it was made of gold! The price is outrageous, for 1 tiny cutting. I am willing to pay for some nice BIG stems, or a bunch of small ones, but not for 1 tiny shriveled stem. Or trade something from my bromeliad collection, or my huernia/stapelia collection, if you are a collector of them as well.

So I am up to buy some cuttings, or trade for some cuttings. I am hoping the nice lady that I got my last set of cuttings from sees this and contacts me. BUT that is a big wish. I know others must have THIS variety....that blooms like this flower I am posting here. If it doesnt show in the picture, it has very tiny and delicate purple 'hairs' on the flowers petals,that usually blow off minutes after it opens. If it doesnt show in my pictures.

So...anyone have this one, and up for a trade or sale? PLEASE contact me. Thank you.

Comments (28)

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

THIS specific one is not available....it is a unusual cross, it doesnt have a name or anything. He doesnt have it. He has the common ones,. This one is VERY hard to find....since it is an 'accidental cross'.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    7 years ago

That one is called light yellow type. Most are darker brown in color. Check 'Miles to Go' or 'Mesa Gardens'. I was planing on buying them come next spring.

PoohBearLvr thanked Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Miles doesnt have it, i go to him for all my stapelia needs, and he is the one that told me it is a 'accidental cross' from someones collection. It took me 5 years to find someone that was growing it. But I lost her name/address. Our recent rains and super hot weather here has made mine turn to a pile of rot. In a matter or days. I am just hoping it doesnt take another 5 years to find it Again. It is on EBay now, for 1 tiny cutting. But at the price they are asking, for 1 small cutting, I might as well give up. I'd pay the price for a BIG arm of it. but not for a small finger sized cutting.

7 years ago

The below is from Mesa Gardens. Plants are small but healty. Myself, I am going to buy all.

4311.23-variegata DMC2913 big rough red spotted flower $4.00

4311.43-variegata DMC3986 nice flowers in late summer $4.00

4311.44-variegata DMC4155A $4.00

4311.5-variegata DP4911 mottled yellow/brown spotted petals $4.00

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

i sent them an email with a picture of the flower, asking if one of their orbeas IS the right one, or not. Thank you.

• Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
    7 years ago

I gotcha. It's the particular form you're looking for. I'll have to pay closer attention to mine now when they bloom because I remember them being pretty yellow.

• Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
    7 years ago

You could always try growing from seed. The bloom is supposed to be very variable from seed.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

i have no plant left to get seed from. its dead.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well my one shot at getting this Varigate just ended. I found the lady that i got it from the last time. And was just about to do a stapliea trade, and she just emailed me and said she had a bad fall at home and is not shipping plants out now. Of course she has to take care of her leg, that luckily she didnt break, but she hurt bad. so she isnt up to shipping anything. Boy her luck and my luck are both under a black star. So thats the end of my search.

No one else has it, and at the rate this post is sliding down the discussion, it will be lost soon. But I wanted to thank you all for at least trying to help me find it. IF anyone ever gets this plant, i will pay you A LOT for a good size piece of it!

• LH CO/FL
    7 years ago

Hopefully, the nice lady will heal and take care of you.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I am praying for her health.....and the plant when she is better.

7 years ago

Net exactly the same but very close.

What do you think

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Very pretty flower. Great shape. I havent gotten that flower in my search/collection of Varigatas over the years. This is one that got by me. Is it a personal cross? Or what is it called? It looks great!

7 years ago

It's from 'Miles to Go' Cost is a wooping $4 plus shipping.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    7 years ago

pooh,

Been meaning to tell you - if you search for 'variegata' you might get more action.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have bought ALL of my Varigatas from Miles2go, I buy all my Huernias/Orbeas from him. My entire collection is nearly 3/4's from him. I haven't gotten this one. And if i wanted JUST that plant, a purchase UNDER $25 is $12.50 to ship. So that one plant would be $16.50. It isnt that close looking to the one I want more than oxygen.

He let me buy once from him like a $12 purchase, and with $7 shipping, to get 1 plant I REALLY wanted. So it cost me $19.50. I made a big purchase 2 months ago, and those plants are just about ready to be potted up into bigger pots. So i dont need or want another 6-7 plants, to get that one. And i have to pick the right one. He has like 4-6, varieties last time i looked. Thank you for the lead.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What about that other source for succulent Asclepiads, Shoal Creek Succulents?

And, seriously, you don't want another 6-7 plants from Miles, in order to cost-effectively get the one you really want? Wow, that's some serious discipline.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

They dont have this one. They dont have pictures of the flowers. This is a private cross, or an accidental cross, or maybe an old cross and only a few people have it. This one lady is the only one, besides me, that I have found to have it. So it is either VERY rare, or no one is selling it, and only has a few on hand, so they dont list it.

I had it like 10 years ago, grew it for like 5 years, no problems, then it just died on me, after a wet winter. I searched for like 2-3 years, and finally found this lady that had it, on EBay. Got a BIG clump of it from her, grew it for the past 2 years, and then this wet/hot summer turned it to mush.

Just as I am about to get some cuttings from her, she injured herself at home, by falling, luckily she didnt break her hip or leg, but she said she is not doing any trades/sales for at least 6 months now. Till she is all better. So....if i am around in 6 months, i hope she remembers me and her plant is still alive, and will sell/trade some to me. Since it seems no one else has it.

7 years ago

Poolbear, That's the enjoyment of collecting plants. Wanting that unattainable one and one that got away. You know sooner or later you will have that plant.

Still waiting for your address for my other huernia you wanted. Come spring I plan to purchased those Orbeas and see what flowers come from them. Usually takes two years before getting a flower so it is a waiting game. Next year when you get you Orbea special, don't forget to share so more will have replacements if or when bad things happen. I got a nice plant from some one who later lost theirs and I sent mine back to him simply because it was he who was so nice to share it in the first place. It was an expensive plant. (I took a leaf cutting to see if it will sprout!)

Stush

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sorry...i dont recall or see you asking for my address to trade or send me a plant. I am confused. Did I miss a private email or something? It would be nice to get something new in a trade or as a gift, but I dont recall or see an email asking for my address, or telling me what plant you wanted to send me a part of. It is a nice offer, and i would be glad to accept, but what plant? And when did you ask me? I dont see it anywhere. sorry I missed it. Stan

7 years ago

Poohbear, from post "Living with a Huernia". You said; "I am sO jelous, THAT is THE 'LifeSaver' type Huernia that I have been searching for, for lets see....20 years!!!! Where did you buy it? Do you remember? I have tried ever variety of Zebrina I can find, and I get lots of different color combos. But THAT it the one I want. Whee did you get it, if you recall? Or did you cross it yourself?"

I answered ok but need your address to send for postage.

7 years ago

My name is Stan also (Stush). I didn't want you to put your address in the post publicly. That's why I said to message me. Well, It is a little different than 'Zebrina' so with it being seed, who knows. Right now I called it no ID. Saw one similar called Huernia guttata ssp. reticulata (aka Huernia reticulata) on Ebay. So I will send you a rooted section. Lucky when I pulled a branch off it had some roots on it.

Stush

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

easy to erase i dont know how to send a private message..........did you see my huernia that i just post a pic of? in your post of living with a huernia?

7 years ago

Yes, H. Somalica Hybrids. Like mine. It is a heavy bloomer. and erase your address. Sending a few extras you might have. I still have over a dozen seedlings that haven't bloomed a flower yet. I'll post when they do. Who knows what might show up.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for any and all things you send to me. Are you a major collector of Hurnias/Orbeas/Stapelias, or do you just have a few along with other plants of all types? I have some Stapelias,about 20-25 Huernias/Orbeas, i try to keep grow more, but last year was cold and wet, so i lost almost all my stapelias, this year is HOT and wet, so I keep loosing huernias/orbeas....like the Varigata that I lost and am searching for so badly!

They tend to hold up in the heat and wet better than Stapelias. Now my Stapelia collection, that use to be huge, is down to like 3 varieties. Might have 6 pots of Stapelias 'Leenedrtizea' ,spelled wrong, I call it 'Lee', it has the fat sausage shaped maroon flower on it., and Gigantea in the ground, a few pots. And a few Carallumas. It hasnt bloomed at all this year. I swear it is to hot for them to bloom! So any ne

w additions to my collection will be welcomed!! This is a Huernia that I got from Mile2go, about 6 times, to finally get one to live and bloom. It is big for the variety, it blooms facing down into the soil,and is about 1in wide. They are usually like 1/4in wide, the VERY common 'Dragon Flower'. This is Huernia Kennedyana.it is a new cross the Miles started carrying last winter. I got a few Zebrinas that were green,NO red in it at all, 1 close to a Magniflora, called 'Super Z', a big Zebrina, but not huge like Magniflora. I lost the mall over and over, from the rains,cold,heat. I not finally have small amounts of the Super Z, it is now budding!, and Kennedyana, it is blooming, i finally got them in the right place and between the rain letting up,and putting them under shade cloth!, they are alive.

I am not trying to enlarge my bromeliad collection, they seem to love the heat/wet/cold, almost cant kill them. But the Stapelia/huernia/Orbea is my true collectiion, large flowering hoyas, and then bromeliads. I am searching for a certain bromeliad now, in the bromeliad forum now. This is one of the Zebrinas, minus any red. cant keep it alive, bought it 5 times ,still cant keep it alive. It was H. 'Zebrina X Zebrina', and a long African name after it. It has a yellow/green with black spots and black stripes flower.

7 years ago

Wow, that is an unusual Zebrina. What you need to do is build a platform to hold all your plants. I plan on building one this fall. Slowly getting my strength back now so I can do much more around the house. It will have a plastic panel on top to keep the rain out and be 8 ft. long by 2 ft. wide by 6 ft. high. Basically a 2 x 4 frame with screen grating on it to hold all my plant collection in. I will add wheels to the bottom so I can wheel it to where I want it. I'll post a project and show and tell on it as I build it. It is a simple project. My collection is mostly from Miles to Go like you. I have about 20 seedlings yet of Huernia and Stapelia that I purchased on Ebay. Still waiting to see what I get. That Zebrina looking one is the first to bloom. First was last year and again this year. Thanks to Bikerdoc, I also have a extensive Haworthia collection going as well. (He got me started). They will go on the bottom tray on my project since they require some shade. My Sansevieria collection is out in full sun and weather getting a little beat up now. Got to watch those cold nights coming this Sept. and all got to be in before October.

Stush

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    7 years ago

all my huernias/orbeas etc...are on metal racks outside, but cant control the rain in the middle of the night when i am asleep or at work, cant build covers like your going to do, in hurricane country, it is something MORE to worry about taking down when we have to put up awnings, or other window protection,take down/in anything that will blow around or down in wind.

I put shade cloth finally over 99% of my collection yesterday, it is just to sunny, and hot. But the cover might make it more hot, but at least it wont be direct sunlight nearly all day. My huernias in shade all day, are living and growing! I am shocked they are doing so well. I have to watch these covered ones now for water, it will block light drizzle, but I have to make sure they get water sometime. Going to see how well they do covered, if they start to bloom or grow better, cant see them, the cloth is so dark, so now its just black shade cloth all around the back yard. I keep a few inside under grow lights, They do the best. They seem to like A/C, controlled enviroments. I'll keep whatever you send under them. To get them rooted/growing and hopefully blooming.