SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamunkeyhub

Recommendations for VA TF Lawn (Soil Test & Picts. attached)

Jayson H.
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi everyone, while this is be my first post on the forum, I've been lurking for several years whenever I have a lawn or garden issue. Thank you all for your incredible contributions throughout the years!

I need some guidance on my Virginia TF lawn (Morpheus, Help!!). I moved to this residence just over a year ago and did the standard low cut, aeration, fertilizer, lime, and overseeded with Souther States Prem. fine fescue mix in Sept. 2015. This past spring I applied lime, iron (assumed it was the cause of yellowing), and fertilizer with pre-emergent protection.

My lawn looked good (not great) from green-up to mid May when it started loosing color and developing areas where it looked like the grass was going dormant. Ample rain and supplemental irrigation lead me to believe this was not a lack of water issue. After doing some research here, I applied fungicide in mid July and the lawn started looking better. Now I'm dealing with weeds and nut sage!

With fall just around the corner, I decided it was time to ST and ask for help! I've attached the results along with some pictures to illustrate:

Front (notice the discoloration and weak spots):

Side 1:

Side 2 (by far the best area of the lawn):

Weeds I'm dealing with:

Examples of discoloration and thinning canopy:

I realize we've had some extreme heat this summer; however, neighbors who use the pro lawn care companies have a much thicker canopy that's stayed deep green, so I know it's possible to improve my lawn:

I split the ST into three areas (Front, Side 1, and Side 2):

An explination of the ST can be found here: http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/452/452-701/452-701.html

I'd really appreciate some guidance and recommendations! I'm planning to aerate and overseed in Sept. using seed from Hogan's.

Thanks in advance!!

Jayson

Comments (18)